Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm over thinking this, but the example of 'valid exploration tile placement' on page 20 of the rules always shows the army unit in one of the middle two of the four squares along a terrain hex edge. Is it not legal to explore orthogonally from one of the outer hex edges (i.e. the 1st or 4th hex on a tile side)?

For example, the unit below (U) is in the top hex row and exploring to the east. The | is the edge of the two territory tiles, and the > is facing direction of the new tile. I assume this is legal?

XXXU|
XXXX|\
XXXX|/
XXXX|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the question correctly, we played that you can explore a tile even if you are on the corner, it still takes up one movement however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you just have to have a figure (orthogonally) adjacent to the undiscovered tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, we ran our first game last night and that's how we played it.

Going a step further, the rules say nothing about exploration ending a turn. So, I assume a unit at the edge of unexplored territory could spend 1 to explore and then use their remaining movement allowance to move into the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, the rules say nothing about it ending a turn. Hence it does not end a turn. I assume that by 'ending a turn' you actually mean an individual figure's movement, since the movement phase is never the end of a turn.

The rules do specifically (and actually repeatedly ) mention that it costs one square of movement to discover a face-down tile. So, yes, if your figure has movement points remaining, it can of course spend those after the tile discovery.

Hint: if something is not mentioned in the rules, then, as a general rule, it is not a rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed 'Stock
United States
Unspecified
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Zip, good explanation. You're right, I like to follow rules to the letter so the absence of a statement (i.e. nothing about a unit having to end movement) makes perfect sense.

Some rules statements seem to lend themselves to being questioned. For example, communism says you don't collect the +1 culture in your capitol city. Since it specifically says 'capitol city' then this penalty doesn't apply to the second or third cities if they collect culture. This sounds incongruent to me (capitol is penalized but other cities aren't), but we play it as stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.