Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Ruyffelaert
United States
Merrimack
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game wasn't on my wish list but I was intrigued when I received it. I've never played a cooperative game before and thought it might be perfect for my family who doesn't appreciate cutthroat competitive games. It seemed pretty simple to learn and fast to play. We only had time for one game, which I played with my wife and parents.

As usual I was responsible for reading, understanding, and teaching the rules (something I am good at and don't usually mind doing). The rules were quick to read, fast to understand, and easy to teach. There were very few questions and as we began to play everyone seemed to know what they were doing.

As we kept playing, something didn't sit right with me. The game wasn't nearly as fast paced as advertised. We lost two temples early on, but once we got into position, it seemed like we couldn't lose no matter how fast the island was sinking. This did not seem to be tied to us starting at the easiest level either; it was just way too easy. I saw there was an imbalance in the probabilities and guessed at what we had missed.

At more than 3/4 through the game, the point at which I thought our hearts should be racing, I decided to check the rules again. I was right on. There are 24 location tiles and also 24 matching flood cards. Whenever you draw a flood card you either flood the matching tile, or if it is already flooded, remove it from the game. The rule we missed was simple: whenever a tile is removed from the game, also remove the matching flood card.

Now I could easily see why the game wasn't fast paced. We would draw several flood cards for tiles that had already been removed. The island just didn't sink fast enough. We didn't have to hold our breaths because we knew that flood cards drawn might have no effect.

We were almost done with the game so we kept playing the same way. The island rumbled a little and crumbled a little, but never really fell apart. We kept shoring it up and leisurely strolled to the landing pad for an easy escape.

For your own enjoyment, don't forget to discard the flood card whenever a location tile is removed from the game. You will have a much more enjoyable experience I am sure. We didn't have time to play a second game, but I am interested to see how much better the game will be when it is far tenser.

Happy exploring and good luck escaping!

-Shawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow. That REALLY changes things! Glad you figured it out. Go play again with the right rules, and you'll almost always have a heart-pounding last-minute escape... IF you escape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this game home for some gaming fun with non-gamers and by the end of our game, the flood level was nearly 5 and we just made it out before the entire island sunk. We benefited from water rises cards not appearing until much later than they usally show themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Summers
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We missed the same rule on our first play. I think it was OK though, because my 6 year old was playing and it let him get a taste of victory and encourages him to play more. Our second play included this rule and four, instead of three, players and it was nice and intense!

davyyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed this rule on our first playthrough as well. We added a new rule, though; instead of moving the waterlevel-counter one tick pr Waters Rise, we moved it an entire section. Made for a pretty intense game after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Cairns
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's nothing worse than getting half way through a game and realising you haven't been playing it correctly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobbyskizza wrote:
there's nothing worse than getting half way through a game and realising you haven't been playing it correctly

Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we had forgotten that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobbyskizza wrote:

Some would disagree. I tend to think that torture or loss of a child is worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Bobbyskizza wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Man, the anti-hyperbole squad raided this thread right quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Merrills
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
trenttsd wrote:
Bobbyskizza wrote:

I'm sure Bobbyskizza's remark was meant to apply only to a gaming context. Season of goodwill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor K
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My family and I missed the rule on the first playthrough, too. I always seem to play a game the wrong way the first time; so it didn't bother me that much haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.