Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Drontle
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At least Tic-Tac-Toe is a game, albeit a crappy one that will end in ties most of the time. But there are actual choices in this game, and even strategy of a sort.

LCR, on the other hand, has no redeeming value whatsoever. And since you can play Tic-tac-toe on a sheet of scratch paper with a pencil, it's not even cheaper . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's that LCR doesn't end in ties.

Now, granted, this is rather like asking "would you like to lose your right leg or your left leg?", but well, you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Selection bias. Almost everyone has played (and many have rated) Tic-Tac-Toe as a child, but people are much less likely to have played LCR, and those who played it are not a random sample of the potential voters. I'd never try LCR, and I'm someone who'd rate it low.

For the record, I've rated Tic-Tac-Toe a '3' and I suspect I'd rate LCR a '1' if I were to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
LCR has nicer bits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some fun in warching the mercyless dice gods crushing people's hope. But I don't understand how a grown-up can rate Tic-Rac-Toe higher than 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
milegyenanevem wrote:
I don't understand how a grown-up can rate Tic-Rac-Toe higher than 1.

It's true that the game is easily "solved". But it does what it sets out to do well. It doesn't take forever (something that's an issue with LCR or War.) And it's useful as a tool for children to learn reasoning. I rate games that are good for children based on how good they are when I play them with children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I rate games that are good for children based on how good they are when I play them with children.

But I assume you are still bored when you play it with children. If they like it, they should rate it high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milegyenanevem wrote:
But I assume you are still bored when you play it with children.

No, I enjoy watching them think about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
milegyenanevem wrote:
There is some fun in warching the mercyless dice gods crushing people's hope. But I don't understand how a grown-up can rate Tic-Rac-Toe higher than 1.

Obviously you have not read the superb review of Tic-tac-toe by PaulDiStefano (over 130 thumbs). If you have read it, is impossible to give less than 5 to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who think LCR is an absolute hoot. After all, the game sells like crazy. Pure gambling games always have been and always will be popular. So for the right audience, I can certainly see where LCR would be a success.

Tic-tac-toe, though, only works as a game for the very young. And very few ratings are made by people of that age. So I'm not particularly suprised that it falls below LCR.

However, with games rated that low, the results are kind of arbitrary. I doubt if users put as much thought or consistency into their very low ratings as they do for their very high ones. So I wouldn't take the rankings at that level too seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:

Obviously you have not read the superb review of Tic-tac-toe by PaulDiStefano (over 130 thumbs). If you have read it, is impossible to give less than 5 to this game.

Note that he gives 4 . But my point is that even though it is good for children, your rating should only show if it's good for you.

Eric Brosius wrote:
milegyenanevem wrote:
But I assume you are still bored when you play it with children.

No, I enjoy watching them think about the game.

So, Tic-Tac-Toe with a friend: 1
Tic-Tac-Toe with children: 3
Tic-Tac-Toe with Jessica Alba: 10. I would enjoy watching her think about the game.

It makes sense, if I could choose between playing Carcassonne, my favorite game with my best friends or Tic-Tac-Toe with Jessica Alba, I would choose the later without thinking. Playing Tic-Tac-Toe with children or LCR with non-gamer friends - that's on the same level. But you know, it doesn't say much about Tic-Tac-Toe itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Drontle
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
There are people who think LCR is an absolute hoot. After all, the game sells like crazy. Pure gambling games always have been and always will be popular. So for the right audience, I can certainly see where LCR would be a success.

Tic-tac-toe, though, only works as a game for the very young. And very few ratings are made by people of that age. So I'm not particularly suprised that it falls below LCR.

However, with games rated that low, the results are kind of arbitrary. I doubt if users put as much thought or consistency into their very low ratings as they do for their very high ones. So I wouldn't take the rankings at that level too seriously.

I agree that with games that are ranked as low as LCR and Tic-tac-toe that the results are arbitrary, and frankly the difference in ratings between them is probably not statistically significant.

I guess that I just have problems understanding why people would choose to play LCR at all. The only decisions that you make with that game are 1- whether or not to play the game and 2- who will start. After that there is quite literally no thinking involved. I think it's a pretty damning critique of a game when it can be easily turned into a screen saver or simple computer app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
For the record, I've rated Tic-Tac-Toe a '3' and I suspect I'd rate LCR a '1' if I were to play it.

Tic-Tac-Toe is much faster than LCR. A short playing time is a good feature in a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't really have to play LCR to give it a rating...you can extrapolate from the rules. However, Tic-Tac-Toe will still get more ratings (and thus rate lower on Bayesian averaging) than LCR, because many people either haven't heard of LCR or can't be bothered to rate it just on the rules, and most people have heard of Tic-Tac-Toe and a reasonable proportion of them are willing to rate it.

I guess LCR probably makes a better drinking game than Tic-Tac-Toe though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people who rate LCR specifically mention that it's something to enjoy in combination with alcohol. Even though the game doesn't provide you with choices, it provides you with a process that apparently for some people under some circumstances justifies itself. Tic-tac-toe doesn't really do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Tic-Tac-Toe will still get more ratings (and thus rate lower on Bayesian averaging) than LCR

Yes, that's what I first thought, but even the pre-Bayesian straight average rating is lower for Tic-Tac-Toe than for LCR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
So, would anyone care for explaining what LCR stands for ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry wrote:
So, would anyone care for explaining what LCR stands for ?

It's this game called LCR. Left Center Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.