Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just looking for some rule clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fretel
msg tools
Hey there, glad to be a new member. I am a total noob though, you've been warned

Anyway:

I need some help understanding the villain phase. What is the difference between a villain that is "in play" and not "in play"? The implication seems to be that the villain figure can be there but not technically be "in play?? Like, the second step of the Villain phase is to activate all monsters that are "in play"...so, is that just any monster that has been added by any player on any tile, and I have to "activate" them, aka. go through their tactics and whatnot? Then, there is the 3rd step to the villain phase that reads something like "now activate any monster/trap cards you drew this turn".
I suck at getting this across, I know. Let me try again.

Villain Phase kicks in. I "activate" any villains in play (what does that mean exactly?...), then I activate any monsters/traps that I drew this turn (why the differentiation between step 2 and 3? Is that just to get the order right?)
The way I understand it: If a player draws a monster on their turn and doesn't kill it, the next player still has to "activate" that monster AS WELL AS their own monster that they just drew as well, and go through the motions with each monster now, right?

Also, when a villain is said to attack the nearest adjacent hero, what do I do when there are TWO heroes that are within 1 tile of it? Do I just pick which Hero to be attacked? Whenever possible do I go for the "active hero" (the player who's turn it is?)

Thanks again, I know noobs can be a pain in the kneck. I'm really enjoying the game so far though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hagen
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek! :D

Fosterdid wrote:
What is the difference between a villain that is "in play" and not "in play"?
The villains not in play are those that are still in the box :)

Once the adventure tells you that a villain appears, then you put the figure on the mentioned tile. It's now in play.
Fosterdid wrote:
Like, the second step of the Villain phase is to activate all monsters that are "in play"...so, is that just any monster that has been added by any player on any tile, and I have to "activate" them, aka. go through their tactics and whatnot?
To "activate" a monster or villain is to go through their card, and picking the first behavior that is possible to execute.

When you place a new tile, you draw a monster card and put that in front of you. Put the respective monster figure on the bone pile on the tile.

During your villain phase, you activate all the villains in front of you, then all the monsters in front of you. Usually, this is just "your" monsters. But if other players have any monster cards identical to yours in front of them, you activate those as well. Do the same for traps. You activate monsters and traps in the order you drew them.

The villains can say something along "pass this villain card to the player on your left", which is a mechanism that allows the villain to act during every player's turn.

Fosterdid wrote:
The way I understand it: If a player draws a monster on their turn and doesn't kill it, the next player still has to "activate" that monster AS WELL AS their own monster that they just drew as well, and go through the motions with each monster now, right?
Only if both monsters are the same.

If you both have a Wolf, then both Wolves activate during both your turns. If you have a Wolf and he has a Spider, then the Wolf activates during your turn, and the Spider during his turn.

Fosterdid wrote:
Also, when a villain is said to attack the nearest adjacent hero, what do I do when there are TWO heroes that are within 1 tile of it? Do I just pick which Hero to be attacked?
You choose which hero to attack. Your group can discuss which hero should take the hit before you chose one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fosterdid wrote:

No. I think the point you are missing is what a Villain is. It is not a normal Monster, but a special monster given by the particular adventure. It's like the uber-monster of the adventure. For example, the vampire Strahd is a Villain, a skeleton is not.

The Villain will activate in every player's turn, in step 2 of the Villain phase. Then in step 3, the monsters and traps in front of the active player will activate.

(Activating a Villain or a Monster simply means following the instructions on the Villain tile or Monster card, respecivelly.)

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fretel
msg tools
Thanks guys, that all really helps. I know it isnt always easy to have the patience for noobs like me, so I really appreciate it.

Yeah the main point I was missing was the distinction between the rules of a "Villian" and the rules of a "monster".

Just to clarify though, when it to comes to activates any monsters in front of the active player, if one of those monsters is the same as a monster another player has in front of them (same name and whatnot), the active player activates both their Zombie (for example) AND the other players Zombie, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hagen
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fosterdid wrote:

Just to clarify though, when it to comes to activates any monsters in front of the active player, if one of those monsters is the same as a monster another player has in front of them (same name and whatnot), the active player activates both their Zombie (for example) AND the other players Zombie, right?
Right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, do you activate monsters in front of you first, then all your traps, or do you activate monsters and traps in the order you drew them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryd Pickles wrote:
Also, do you activate monsters in front of you first, then all your traps, or do you activate monsters and traps in the order you drew them?

Page 7 of the Castle Ravenloft rules (available here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Castle_Ravenloft_RuleBook.p...) under the Villain Phase section states: Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
Fryd Pickles wrote:

Page 7 of the Castle Ravenloft rules (available here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Castle_Ravenloft_RuleBook.p...) under the Villain Phase section states: Activate each Monster and Trap Card, in turn, in the order you drew them.

This could still mean activate: monster, monster, monster then...trap, trap trap. I'm asking if it should be: monster, monster, trap, monster, trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it as written. The rules don't say to activate monsters as you drew them and then traps as you drew them; they say to activate monsters AND traps, in the order that you drew them. So, don't separate the cards into monsters and traps for their activation. If you drew monster, trap, monster, monster then that is the exact order you activate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a related question to traps, does anything in the rules state the order in which a trap has to attack the Heroes (e.g. does it go around the table)?

Or can you attack in any way it is advantageous to you (e.g. attack Tarak first if he selected the Utility to get a free disable trap check)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
In a related question to traps, does anything in the rules state the order in which a trap has to attack the Heroes (e.g. does it go around the table)?

Or can you attack in any way it is advantageous to you (e.g. attack Tarak first if he selected the Utility to get a free disable trap check)?

This is one of those circumstances where the rules aren't explicit; however, go with the exact wording of the trap card in question. If the trap card's text says to make an attack against each Hero on that tile, then do so in whatever manner you like. If it's easier for you to roll against the active hero then every hero on that tile, in turn, going around the board clockwise, then do so. Our group likes to try and figure out what works best to our advantage, especially if there's a risk of extreme damage or a player has an item that can help like a teleportation item, and then roll against each player that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.