Viareggio
ITALY
flag msg tools
mb

I read in the DEluxe rules:

If a card play triggers an opponent’s Event, but the event results
in no effect, the Event is still considered played, and would
still be removed if it has an asterisk.

EXAMPLE 4: The USSR player plays ‘Star Wars’, but the US player is ahead on the Space Race track. The result is no effect and the ‘Star Wars’ card is returned to the discard pile.

Is there a contradiction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off there's either something wrong with the example or it's been transcribed wrong as if the USSR plays 'Star Wars' and the US is ahead on the space race then the event happens. I imagine the example should say that the USSR is ahead on the space race.

The distinction is between -

i) an event that can happen (fulfils pre-requisites) and had no effect
and
ii) an event that can't happen (doesn't fulfil pre-requisites)

So an example of i) is Indy Reds or Truman with no USSR influence in the relevant countries or in uncontrolled European countries respectively. An example of ii) is Star Wars with the US behind in the space race, or Kitchen Debates with the USSR having more or equal battlegrounds. If i) is true the event happens with no effect and is removed, if ii) is true the event doesn't actually happen and hence goes back to the discard pile. Of course in the unlikely event of Star Wars being played with the US ahead but no cards or only scoring cards in the discard pile then the event will happen and be removed despite having no effect as the pre-requisites were met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max3232002 wrote:

I read in the DEluxe rules:

If a card play triggers an opponent’s Event, but the event results
in no effect, the Event is still considered played, and would
still be removed if it has an asterisk.

EXAMPLE 4: The USSR player plays ‘Star Wars’, but the US player is ahead on the Space Race track. The result is no effect and the ‘Star Wars’ card is returned to the discard pile.

Is there a contradiction?

First, the EXAMPLE 4 in the book should read: "but the US player is behind on the Space Race Track...".

(The 2nd Edition rules read "ahead": http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TSRules2nd.pdf. The Deluxe Edition reads "behind": http://www.gmtgames.com/nnts/TSRules-2009.pdf.)

So, assuming the latter conditions (US is behind):

The Star Wars card reads: If the US is ahead on the Space Race track, play this card to search through the discard pile for a non-scoring card of your choice. Event occurs immediately.

USSR plays the card for Ops. Since the US player is behind on the Space Race Track, the USSR cannot "play this card" as an event. So, as the card is not played for the event, it is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.