Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all ~

MY girlfriend and I have been contemplating a new purchase in the post-christmas season and we both seem interested in learning the 18XX system. This was originally spurred by the look and sound of Poseidon, which we have not played. We have actually not played many games of this type at all.

What we are looking for here is a suggestion as to:

1) Whether or not people think we will like 18XX based on our ratings (my game ratings are a reflection of both of our ratings most of the time).

2) What is a good starting point for 18XX.

All suggestions are welcome, as well as other like genre games that we may like! We have an open mind about this. However, please note that cost is most certainly an issue (we are poor students).

Thanks much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played an 18XX game, so take this with a grain of salt.

18EZ was designed with the 18XX newbie in mind.

I have played Chicago Express and I hear it has some similarities to 18XX. It plays quick and it's a fantastic game. Fairly simple rules with very deep gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
I've never played an 18XX game, so take this with a grain of salt.

18EZ was designed with the 18XX newbie in mind.

I have played Chicago Express and I hear it has some similarities to 18XX. It plays quick and it's a fantastic game. Fairly simple rules with very deep gameplay.

Thanks for this, I'll take a look. Would still like a bit more info about 18XX intro tho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

2) What is a good starting point for 18XX.

18EZ is recommended a lot. Otherwise if you can get your hands onto a Steam over Holland it's quite a good intro game too. If you're just two players go get Railroad Barons (and the FAQ), it's a very condensed 18XX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
18AL has an awesome video review on it.

...and it's print 'n play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

And I have a copy of it...

edit: Ryan - take a look at what I have. I also have Wabash Cannonball on the way from the last math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
bippi wrote:

And I have a copy of it...

I played 18AL as my intro to 18xx, and I felt like it was a good way to start getting used to most of the major mechanics in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a GeekList on this topic:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50903/item/1170538#ite...

My recommendation is 1846: The Race for the Midwest, as discussed in the following GeekList item comment, but it is not so easy to get (the waiting list at Deep Thought Games is close to a year now.)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43918/item/979397#item...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several 18xx games--1830, 1835, 1856, 1846--and I can heartily recommend 18EZ as a superb introductory 18xx, specifically at level 2. It is a full 18xx game with superb ergonomics, but with all of the confusing chrome stripped off.

After you've learned the system with 18EZ, any of the other recommendations here are fine.

Please note, however, that the 18xx system is not really designed for 2 players--there are 2-player 18xx games (including the print-and-play 1800 and at least one unit of 1825), but the main line of 18xx is 3-6 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brooks
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What do people think of Poseidon so far as an introduction to 18XX? Too new for anyone to have a real good feel yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely 18AL or 18GA both are short and simple and print & play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
18ez seems to be recommended based on its name only, as a game from all I know about it it seems to show the authors didn't have that divine an idea what 18xx are about..

looking at games that are available without a year wait:

1860 - supposedly works good for 2. it isn't the main branch of 18xx games, so you might be a bit surprised how much different games like 1830 are from this, but it is reasonably quick, and should be available still.

I found poseidon to be quite a nice streamlined 18xx. much of the 18xx feel is present, but is quite a bit less fiddly.

Railroad Barons probably are not a good idea as a first 18xx game - it should be a lot easier to understand it after playing one of the boardgames.

18al/18ga are not available p&p officially anymore, are they? they are quite good if you can get them and want to print this out (a LOT of work). alternatively you could try playing 18al (or 1889, another good one) on a computer with Rails - this will save you having to p&p, but is a little uncomfortable. on the other hand it does force following many of the rules, which should be good when you're learning the system.

EDIT: another thought: 1800 has everything to p&p here on the geek, and requires a LOT less work, and is a very minimalistic 2 (or 3) player variant. as an introduction it could work. it is impossible to read its rulebook as is - you need to read 18al rules and then 1800, as 1800 rulebook assumes knowledge of 'general' ruleset. (when it mentions sth is 'like 1830' it means it is 'like 18al')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:

18al/18ga are not available p&p officially anymore, are they?

They're still currently up at: [url]http://www.diogenes.sacramento.ca.us/18AL_18GA.html
[/url]

They're supposedly going to be taken down once Dixie is ready. Get them while you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.