Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Iran Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
The Iran cards say that if it is played by the US to select and test a shia-mix country and then to remove a cell there.

How could there be a cell there if it hasn't been tested yet?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't do both. You test the country if it hasn't yet been tested; or you remove a cell there if one is present.

Also note the card allows you to test a non-Iran country then remove a cell from Iran -- in this case, you'd be able to do both, albeit to different countries.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
You don't do both. You test the country if it hasn't yet been tested; or you remove a cell there if one is present.

Also note the card allows you to test a non-Iran country then remove a cell from Iran -- in this case, you'd be able to do both, albeit to different countries.


Are you sure about this? I always thought "There" was short for "the tested Shia-Mix country".

-Marcon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:

Are you sure about this? I always thought "There" was short for "the tested Shia-Mix country".


The card says "...remove 1 cell there or from Iran."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
The Iran cards say that if it is played by the US to select and test a shia-mix country and then to remove a cell there.

How could there be a cell there if it hasn't been tested yet?



Dan, although the card says "test", that does not mean you must select an untested country. A US player could, for example, "select" Afghanistan (or any other Shia-Mix country with a cell where governance is already known), ignore the "test" part because it's already tested and known, and then remove a cell there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite so!

"Select and test a Shia-Mix country.", btw, applies regardless of which side (US or Js) is playing the event. It is unlikely that the card's "and test" will apply much, but the Js might decide, for example, to try to advance their "15+ at Poor/IR" victory condition by targeting an unmarked country with "Iran".

As noted, the text "and test" has no effect if the country is already marked (4.9.4).

If the US player wanted to test an unmarked Shia-Mix country and then remove a cell from Iran, that would be legal (can't think of a strategy reason to do this, but there might be one). If the US just wants to remove a cell from Iran without rolling a country's governance, the player would (juridically) be selecting an already marked Shia-Mix country (all scenarios have them) : in effect, the player would just remove a cell from Iran (since "test" would then be ignored).

It is correct that there would never be a cell in an unmarked country.

vfr
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
A kind of related question that deals with testing countries...

Can the US wage war of ideas in a Muslim country that is untested?

It came up in our game last night (actually the 2nd game last night). I kind of remember this being covered somewhere on here but couldn't find anything in the rules.

We played yes and followed this procedure:

1. US identifies untested country they want to wage war of Ideas in and plays a card to do so. The card must be worth 2 or 3 op points.

2. Test the country, which results in it being either a poor or fair neutral.

3. If the card played has sufficient ops points, proceed with war of ideas as normal. If not (US played a 2 ops card, and the test made the country POOR) then the US player loses the played card with no further effect.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hmmm. I guess having Ops points in reserves would change things somewhat, and could allow War of Ideas against an untested country with a 1 op card. The point is, that you need to have some possibility of actually being able to conduct the operation there after the country is tested.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan! The 1,2,3 that you lay out above is correct. See 4.9.5. If I recall, this question did require some clarification recently, and Joel added something on this to the FAQ/Errata sheet. Hope that helps! Regards, vfr

EDIT: Yes, it's the erratum change to rule 7.2.1.1 which, in the original, implied that one could not WoI in unmarked. One can.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that I can perform a WOI against an untested country using a 2 ops card. If I roll Poor for the country's initial governance, then my card would normally be wasted.

However, after rolling the initial governance, can I add one to the ops value of the card via reserves?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Expenditure of Reserves is at the moment that a card is played for operations (6.3.3.1 "plays" vice "played"). The US player would have to play a card for a WoI operation before the country would be tested.

vfr
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Volko

I must say that I love this game. You did a great job on it.thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wimbush
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Volko wrote:
Hi Dan! The 1,2,3 that you lay out above is correct. See 4.9.5. If I recall, this question did require some clarification recently, and Joel added something on this to the FAQ/Errata sheet. Hope that helps! Regards, vfr

EDIT: Yes, it's the erratum change to rule 7.2.1.1 which, in the original, implied that one could not WoI in unmarked. One can.


That's really interesting. I had been playing it that WoI had to be on already tested Muslim countries as the rules require even though not explicitly stated. I thought it was mirroring the fact that no Muslim state can cope with the political backlash of publicly supporting the US but once the Js drag them into the equation by establishing a presence they lay themselves open to the "If you ain't with us you're against us" ultimatum which can be politically sweetened with Aid. I've got so used to the extraordinarily subtle nuances in this game that I'm inventing them myself!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought it was mirroring the fact that no Muslim state can cope with the political backlash of publicly supporting the US but once the Js drag them into the equation by establishing a presence they lay themselves open to the "If you ain't with us you're against us" ultimatum which can be politically sweetened with Aid.

Hey, that's not bad!! (And thanks for the kind words.)

As for WoI in Unmarked countries, think of it as preemptive Western diplomacy.

Regards! vfr
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.