Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Smith
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hey evryone,
I luv board games and all, but how do so many of you know so many games? Firstly, where do u get them all?; secondly, who do u play them with?; thirdly, how do u remember the rules for each? I'm just curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The very short answer is that it's a hobby. Like any other hobby, there are sources of information about the hobby that the general public wouldn't know about. I, for instance, wouldn't know where to go to learn about all the interesting developments in HAM radio, but I bet a HAM radio enthusiast would. Maybe it's a web site much like BoardGameGeek. Which, hey, is where you are right now. You're on your way.

As to where to get them, specialty stores and online retailers. Depending on where you live, the former may be hard to find, the latter isn't.

As to who to play them with, like many hobbies, people seek out like-minded enthusiasts. Maybe these are your friends. Maybe it's an organized group. Ideally you'll get an overlap (heck, I'm marrying someone I met at a games club).

Remembering rules? If you like a game and play often, it's a snap. If it's a game that comes out less frequently, even the grizzled veteran usually takes a refresher before playing.

Enjoy.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question of where to get games, here's some on-line places to start (since I have no idea what brick-and-mortar stores that you may have in your area):

www.fairplaygames.com
www.timewellspent.org
www.thoughthammer.com
www.gamesurplus.com
www.bouldergames.com

There are others, of course, but this list should get you started. You can also buy games through the Marketplace here on the 'Geek.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Rob. Like you I was amazed that people KNEW so many games when I'd ask for suggestions or opinions. But it comes with time and immersion into the hobby. You read Lists and check out the game page. Read the rules, comments, articles and maybe buy the game. In 6 months, you'll have a head full of games you'll be suggesting to new users!

Welcome to the Geek, and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Rob,
We are addicts, game addicts. Welcome to our junkie heaven! I got heavily into german gaming when I played Settlers Of Catan in 1997. It was a revelation and I was immediately absorbed (assimilated).

At the time there was little on the internet, but I learnt from Mike Siggins' zine Sumo and from joining Stephen Taverner's game group. I made lists and lists and lists. Anytime I saw a reference to a german game, I took note of the title, the publisher and the designer. I built my own spreadsheet to keep track and when I found rec.games.board I got a whole lot more data.

These days, with the internet and the geek, it's easy to find info. When I started, often I didn't even know if a title was a serious game, a family game or a children's game. I didn't know when it was a german edition of a US/UK game.

How do we know the rules? We don't! I usually forget the actual detail of a game, but I know enough now to remember that one game is really an auction game, another is really a placing game. A lot of games today are very similar, it's subtle differneces that make a game work for me or not. But now I am familiar with the designer's ideas, what they like to put in their games. I can read the rules or description very quickly and realise whether the game suits me or not.

These days I mostly buy direct from Germany, usually from Adam Spielt. But I go to Essen each year to the big show and buy games htere. And I get people to bring games home for me, especially from the US (thanks Rob, thanks Paul!). I rarely buy a game in a UK shop.

But it doesn't matter, because I buy a copy anyway. Sell your kids for games. German games are now my central hobby. I build my time around gaming, buying games, travelling to game shows, meeting new gamers, trying to convert non-gamers. If there was only game tv, I'd watch that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
top_o_class wrote:
Hey evryone,
I luv board games and all, but how do so many of you know so many games? Firstly, where do u get them all?; secondly, who do u play them with?; thirdly, how do u remember the rules for each? I'm just curious...

- I learn about the games here. I buy some of the games, and our gaming friends buy other games. I have also started going to gaming conventions, which is a great way to get exposure to games without dropping down the cash first.

- I support my local store and have bought more games from there than anywhere else, but they carry a very limited selection, and if it wasn't for their ebay business, I would have outgrown them quite a while ago. I currently go online for the bigger orders. Alot of the online game store web sites that Jim mentioned have been collected into a single site for easier comparisons:

http://www.michaelareed.com/boardgamesearch/

- We play with local friends who we hung out with before we got into board gaming. We have a group of 5 semi regulars that get together twice a week.

- I usually don't remember the rules, at least not precisely. My memory is terribly defective. Someone in the group usually has to review the rules before we play and help the rest of us remember. Fortunately, most of our games have fairly simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
top_o_class wrote:
Hey evryone,

I see that you live in Maryland. Lucky guy, you have a lot of resources near you that you never knew about.

Q: How do you know so many games?
A: You learn them one at a time, and play what looks interesting.

Q: Where do you buy them?
A: If you are in Montgomery County, MD then check out Dream Wizards (Rockville) and Other Realms (Gaithersburg). Great stores with great staffs and selection). Also check out http://www.gamesurplus.com/ -- they are in PA, so shipping is cheap and FAST. They have a wide selection, terrific prices, and are simply the nicest people you will ever meet.

Q: Who to play with?
A: Maryland has a lot of gamers. Many of them are members of, or attend events hosted by, the Games Club of Maryland (http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/).
I host a weekly game night in my home in Damascus, and a game night at Borders in Germantown. It's a great way to get started and meet alot of other gamers. Send me a message if you are interested in attending and I'll send you our schedule and directions.
If you are at all near Baltimore, you should consider attending GameDays in 2 weeks (April 14-17). You will have a great time.

Q: How do you remember the rules?
A: Oftentimes, rather poorly. laugh Try to read the rules, or at least skim them prior to playing any game you haven't played for some time. You'll start to remember them eventually.

Good Luck, and welcome to a wonderful new hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
top_o_class wrote:
Hey evryone,

Hi Rob and welcome. Speaking personally I have gained my knowledge of games through BGG and what I owned previously. BGG has been wonderful in allowing me to understand and research games.

Now this may not be so relevant as I'm down here but I purchase my games (in order of frequency)
www.gamesurplus.com
www.funagain.com
Bricks and mortar stores-Napoleans, Dymocks and Games Paradise

I play my games with the same bunch of guys I have been playing with for 15+ years. Now I include my wife in the group, their wives and kids now also

Remembering the rules-that's a tricky one. The elegance of eurogames allows us to play a few times and then never need consult the rules unless someone tries something innovative and we need to understand the intent. Other games like Blood Royale or Fury of Dracula that we are in our second decade of playing still get rules read before, during and after the session due to 2 factors the number of clauses and the infrequency of play

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.