Popular Tags: [View All]
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of Rio Grande's release of Around the World in 80 Days. The game should be fun but wow does it come in a big box with nothing in it! This box could be half the size and still plenty of room to give all the game pieces plenty of storage space. I'm running out of storage. Note to Rio Grande "Please don't just for the heck of it make the box way larger than the game parts". Thanks, now I feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Durch Die Wuste. Those camels don't take up a lot of space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Maul Of America (GameID: 752)... The box is huge (think an old MB GameMaster game) and inside one finds thin cardboard maps, perforated cards, some plastic pieces, two small dice and rules (there's a good photo of the contents in it's BGG record). It could have easily been contained in something more akin to say, an old Avalon Hill game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
El Caballero.
And if you punched out the tiles, they don't even fit in the box unless the insert is removed or thouroughly reshaped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill's Guerilla: 128 cards, a few chits, 2D10, in a standard bookcase box.

Gold Sieber's Sternenhimmel: 12 large round tiles, 96 tokens, 45 x 1cm plastic bits, and a Gold Sieber big box.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The EL Grande box is pretty much empty, but on the bright side that means that you can put the expansion box inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Ogma"]My vote is for Maul Of America (GameID: 752)...q]

HERE HERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2ndPlace wrote:
Note to Rio Grande "Please don't just for the heck of it make the box way larger than the game parts".

I haven't seen the box myself, but I expect you should direct that complaint to Kosmos. They published the game initially in an oversized box, and Rio Grande will have done their usual thing of using the existing production line to produce the English-language version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Caballero would be a good example, but the German version of Can't Stop is even better. The box is H-U-G-E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When will game companies figure out that the more we have to spend on bookshelves (or gods forbid, new housing) to accomodate our games, the less money we have for the games themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for those gamers who often travel to game sessions by foot or public transport, a large box is inconvenient and has an opportunity cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Morgan
United States
Fancy Gap
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Maul of America
2ndPlace wrote:
Note to Rio Grande "Please don't just for the heck of it make the box way larger than the game parts".

I'm not saying this as someone with special inside knowledge, but my guess as to why they use the larger box is that it's significantly cheaper to use a box size that's already being used than to design a better-fitting box for one game. You may be willing to pay a couple bucks more to get a smaller box, but if the higher price costs the game even a small percentage of its potential audience, that would probably affect the profitability (?) of the game considerably.

As for which box has the most air space, unless someone can come up with another almost-empty game box roughly the size of a Game Master game (Axis & Allies, Shogun/Samurai Swords), I think that Maul of America is the undisputed champ:

Keep in mind that there's no insert; it's just paper, thin cardstock, and a handful of small plastic pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1

It's not even a big box but manages to be about 90% air. Eight page rulebook, two thin maps and a sheet of counters.

Still it's the gameplay that counts and it provides that by the bucketload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
El Caballero.
And if you punched out the tiles, they don't even fit in the box unless the insert is removed or thouroughly reshaped.

We have a winner! Ding! Ding! Ding!

This game fewer tokens than Carcassonne, only 4 cubes for playing pieces, but it is in a box 3 times as large as Carc!

aAnd the Insert is ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!!!!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Armstead
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuari (GameID: 3) has a lot of air space. The board and counter don't take up much space. The only reason for the huge box is for the long board pieces. This is by far the bigest space waster I own. Fun game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carolus Magnus. Sure there are a lot of pieces in the game, but it's mostly just little cubes. The whole game fits it a few little baggies and it has a Days of Wonder sized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Goldsieber Linie 1 has a lot of open space inside the box. It's a Goldsieber large-box game, and has a game board, 6 wooden block "trains" and ~100 4cm x 4cm tiles, but the insert is completely open and doesn't hold anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I'll put in a fourth vote for El Cabellero (well, I guess Mik's was only a half of a vote). When I saw the title of the entry, it was the first game I thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Longdin
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montgolfiere and Balloon Cup are both full of air.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the kids game arena, _Tales of Ulysse__. Board, a few ships, small deck of cards, and a die, all in a very large box (a bit larger than El Grande's).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the most, but Drakkon and Citadels both have a very high space-to-bits ratio.

I've taken to keeping Citadels in just a normal deck box because it takes up so much less space that way.

With Drakkon, if I stack the tiles neatly in its box, I can fit a number of other card games in there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would have been a great geeklist

I will put my vote in for X-Bugs. All you get in the box are some small tiddly winks 6 dice and a 2 page rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim R
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always get annoyed that it seems like 50% of my boardgame shelf space is taken up by air inside these oversized game boxes.

Do companies keep coming out with huge boxes for the same reason that computer game companies used to: to make the games more visible and stand out more on store shelves? Computer game boxes eventually became smaller sized, to allow retailers to carry more titles overall (?), so maybe there is hope for boardgame boxes to become smaller too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I would have gone with El Caballero too, if I hadn't seen Orcs at the Gate. I think that the big box for this game may actually be sort of a joke, it is SO oversized for the contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.