United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:scenarios from Saving Private Ryan
I'm pretty sure that the bridge battle is in the scenario section at the DoW website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja (#464061), it is Omaha beach. The only beach where there was a real battle with a doubtfull ending. From the veterans who saw the movie, from that peticular 30 minutes, only the smell was missing from the real thing.

If you can see it, Spielberg and Hankx produced a HBO TV serie, Band of Brothers. About a group of paratroopers from 43 to the end of the war. Catch it if you can ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kwebec (#464283),
My grandfather suffered a wound when his landing craft took a direct hit during the 1st wave. Between then and 5 days later, my family lost 5 members. I was told the movie wasn't near as bad as the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Black Gobo (#464295), Omaha was a butchery, no question about that. I know the Canadian did very little fight, The brits as well. The Veterans that saw Saving Private Ryan could relate to what was seen on the screen. Obvioulsy no movie will ever get the overall feeling of the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwebec (#464326),

It would be unfair to say that the Canadians (and British) did very little fighting. They landed on a wide frontage against varying opposition, and some units fought very hard indeed. Those that landed in front of German strongpoints had "Private Ryan" experiences and suffered heavily. One British unit struggled all day to overcome one of these strongpoints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.