Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

I recently played Ursuppe, and I liked it, but something didn't quite 'click'. I was looking for something similar, and hoped Urland might be it, but I'm still not sure based on some comments...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
By coincidence I played Urland for the first time yesterday, and played Ursuppe once some months ago. Given that it's fundamentally another move-little-cubes-of wood-into-different-areas-game, I enjoyed Urland and in fact preferred it to Ursuppe - it's simpler and plays more cleanly, as Chris Farrell has observed. It has an interesting psychological dimension which I enjoy in a game and that I don't remember in Ursuppe. Play it more than once as it takes a game to grasp the mechanics.

And they're not really cubes but dinky little dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this isn't going to help but I like Primordial Soup. But since I was formerly a microbiologist, I'm biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not dinosaurs Richard, they're Ichthos, the pre-cursors to dinosaurs. They're the first vertebrates to climb onto land.

Urland is largely Ursuppe Lite. It's quicker, less complex (hence faster and less down-time), there are less genes to work through and it's less luck driven. It has an auction mechanism, but also a good mechanism, whereby two players are inactive in turn, one having chosen the next scoring area. This way you get some knowledge which you can use to your advantage, but must bide your time.

If you're not sure, pitch for Urland, then go for Ursuppe.

You may want to look at Trias, a second game drawn from the same conversation, but without genes entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.