Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike brought his friend Dean over last night for an impromptu game night. Dean had never played any of the newer boardgames on the market but I could tell he was very anxious to learn. Since Gary cancelled and Nalani said she was up for a game, which made four, I thought that Settlers would be a perfect choice.

I must say, between Mike and I, I think we did a fine job with the rules rundown. In fact, Dean complimented us on it! We just may have done TOO well, as you shall see.

With my intial placements, I felt as if I was in a good position in terms of location and resource generation to get some early roads down, compete for the longest road card, and lay down some early infrastructure to make way for evenual expansion. This plan worked well early, as I had good access to brick and wood, two settlements on a #5 sheep hex, and 2:1 sheep port.

I blocked Mike in early with my prolific road placement, but he used his other settlement on the other side of the island to base his biggest expansion, with access to ore.

Nalani began road contruction early as well, and kept the longest road card the entire game.

Dean began the game very slowly, but his initial placement, while limiting his early building, paid off eventually with some good resource production rolls and lots of ore production.

I thought I had wood locked up, but 9's were almost NEVER rolled. 5's and 8's ruled the night, which benefitted Mike and Dean the most, and they were the only two in serious contention.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to any wheat or ore tiles, and my late attempt to make some trades to get them failed. My hopes were to get enough for at least one city on my sheep tile, which would have generated 3 wool (with my settlement) on the 5 tile, but the robber saw to it that my 5 didn't pay most of the time anyway.

In the end, Dean came on very strong with his ore production and replaced 4 settlements with cities, and flipped a 1 VP development card to win the game.

All in all, this was a rather frustrating game for me (sometimes the dice just don't go your way), but I was happy to see Dean take the win on his first play. We won't be so nice next time!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.