Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group calls SoR, "Sword of Greece". With Dionysius and Pyrrhus on the board the Greeks are tough to stop. The "terrible twins" can usually rack up enough support to keep paying for themselves turn after turn.

Based on our experience (about half a dozen sessions), I would say that play balance leans in the following direction:
Greece
E/S
Rome
Gaul

Any other observations?

Note: Please don't take this as a criticism of the game (which I rate as a 9). I think SoR has a lot of depth and Rome and Gaul may have a steeper "learning curve" than Greece. I have also found Wray Ferrel to be one of the best designers in providing support for his game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:SoR play balance
philfry (#464310),

In my experience Rome is tough to play but is very strong. IMO stronger than Greeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:SoR play balance
IMHO this is a 4 player game where ganging up on the leader should balance things out. I feel that the power of the nations is Rome #1 followed by Greece, Gaul and Etruscan/Samnites.

If within turn one or two Rome attacks Neapolis, the Samnites are marching south (with maybe Tarantum as an objective) and Cathage is on th emove then the Greeks should be easy to take care of. If the players are not doing this then its because they don't really think that the greeks are the strongest.

In our games its the Romans that get picked on the most.

This is a self balancing game unless the players are unwilling to to some balancing. The Greeks are a little farther away from the center of fighting than the others. SO in a very aggressive game the 3 northern powers can end up weakenning themselves by constant warfare then the still strong Greeks (with a good leader) can runaway with victory.

another problem in our games was that when Carthage attacked the Greeks and lost, suddenly the Greeks were in the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Alvey
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
Are you serious? Greek is only powerful if you let it become powerful.

The loyalty hit for the leaders is huge. Most of the time you'll have to win at least two fights or spend two cards earning enough loyalty to keep two leaders on the board. Add in extra for every lost battle.

Greece gets and early lead in victory points by taking over Sicily and then... what? Without the proper cards you can't even fight Carthage off, so it's a constant thorn in the side because they're a minor threat after every reinforcement (unlike the other Minor factions which don't ramp up nearly as fast), and a major threat every other reinforcement. So you have to keep a ready supply of troops in Sicily to respond to any threats Carthage poses. I will admit if you do get lucky and manage to knock out Carthage, than Greece easily becomes an easy contender for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.