Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

Please let me know if you find some of these "moves" to be against the rules, but I THINK they're all legal.

1) DAIMON DOUBLE-BET. If you think you'll want to back the Daimon at the start of the game, pplace your Daimon bet, play a Daimon card, and immediately place a SECOND round one bet on another available creature! Sometimes you can get a jump on your opponents in this way.

2) MAGUS DISCARDING MACHINE. The creature I liked the least is now one of my favorites, simply because I understand how powerful the ability is now. The fastest way to get more of the cards you want is to bet on the Magus and discard every turn like there's no tomorrow. This is also a great way to keep track of how many cards are left in the deck for your opponents creatures. Love it.

3) ETTIN + UNICORN + WYRM. The Ettin's ability to play a second card is just plain awesome if your're also betting on the Unicorn and/or the Wyrm, and probably other abilities I haven't even thought of. Think about it - 1) Play an Ettin card, 2) play a Unicorn card and use its ability to save your dying Wyrm, 3) then use the Wyrm's ability to burn off a card or weaken your opponent! Too cool when it works.

4) SUICIDAL COLOSSUS. This one may be my favorite. It is a well known strategy that placing a secret bet on a creature your opponent is backing is a pretty good idea. 1) Place a round one bet on the Colossus. 2) Opponent later places a secret bet, hopefully on your Colossus. 3) Wait for the round to be almost over, and then place the Colossus 0 or 1 card on the Colossus to kill it, while at the same time retrieving your round one bet token on it. If it works, you've killed your opponent's secret bet on the first round!

5) SERAPHIM SECRET BET. This is a no-brainer. A fifth round Seraphim is hands down the most powerful creature on the board, because he just has so many options open to him. If you can conceal your secret bet on the Seraphim until the end you can all of a sudden take control of it and usually end the final round with quite a surprise.

6) COLOSSUS/SERAPHIM COMBO. Easily the best way to be able to get your bet tokens back is to be backing both of these creatures. If one of them dies the other "resurrects" the dead bet. Another no brainer.

7) END OF GAME TITAN STRATEGIES. The following scenario only applies if you use the alternate ending for running out of cards, where you play out whatever is in your hands even when the draw deck is gone. We ALWAYS play this way, because in my opinion the other way is just lame. Anyway, if the TITAN is still a contender on the final round with the alternate ending in place he has A LOT of power. Once the last card is drawn (and backing the Magus can hasten this event by the way), wait for your opponents to foolishly discard their hands down to 3 or so cards. Now your TITAN can strike and see their entire hand AND remove a card of your choice, very often leaving them little else to play on. Keep in mind they MUST have at least three cards to do this.

The flipside of this strategy is something that I'm not sure the rules address - whether or not a player is FORCED to discard dead creature cards. If you are NOT required to, then it is foolish to discard dead creatures once the draw deck has run out AND the Titan is still out there. Keep your hand full of as many dead creatures as you can in the hopes that the Titan will be looking at 3 dead creatures! That'll show him!

I'm really interested to hear everyone else's favorite combos, so let me know what you think. Good luck with this terrific game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some of my favorite moves (Colossal)
ebridge (#464316),

Interesting combos. However, I don't think part 3 of #3 works. Using the unicorn's special ability wouldn't allow you to invoke the Wyrm's special ability. At least I've never seen it played that way. Wonder what others think. And how you can have the most bets on the Ettin, the Unicorn and the Wyrm, I cannot imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene (#464333), You may be right about the Unicorn back er activating the Wyrm with its ability. Perhaps the rules specify cards played from your hand. It's been months since I've read them. And you are also correct that if my opponents know what they're doing they would never in their right minds let me have round one bets on Ettin, Unicorn, and Wyrm, but then again you have to play with what you're dealt too. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, #3 of #3 DOES NOT work, according to the official rules. We played it wrong, but boy was it fun while it lasted! Only cards played from a player's HAND can activate a creature's power. Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.