Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am putting a Fariplay order together with Cornjob and I am looking seriously at this game it seems very intersting. Should I order it or am I making a huge mistake? Your input in greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game order
OK, since everyone asked, here's my contribution to the order:

AoS Expansion #2
Pick Picnic (for my little guy)
Sleuth
Blue Moon expansion decks: Flit, Mimix, Terrah and that other one (Khind?).
Verrater
Meuterer

I'd have liked to have gotten Vortex:Maelstrom, but its out of stock at Fairplay right now. Anyone wanna trade it to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woundwart wrote:
Well I am putting a Fariplay order together with Cornjob and I am looking seriously at this game it seems very intersting. Should I order it or am I making a huge mistake? Your input in greatly appreciated.

Well, like anything else, it's best to try before you buy. I think it's a good game and there are people that would tell you you're making a mistake. If it sounds interesting to you, then I guess buying it is the way to go. You can always trade it away if you don't like it.

IMO, It's not like Goldland and I'm sure someone responding to this post will compare the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I played Lost Valley once, and enjoyed it. I don't generally like exploration games, but this one was more fun for me than any of the others I've played (such as Goldland, Tikal, and Entdecker, among others). I passed on buying it, but if I liked explorations games, I'm sure I would have picked up a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds intruiging...and I think its a genre that is fun. I guess I might try to snag Goldland first, if that were available. The theme and open-ended nature of the strategy sound really appealing. I'd be up for playing it...but I also don't find a lot of resounding support among the Geekbuddies. There are a couple strong favorable comments from Norman Petry and Aldie, but some real lukewarm ones, too.

I'd love to try all my games before buying them. That's impossible, however. Although between Todd and Wayne, I'm starting to not have to buy every single one I want to play. (See WotR, TI3, Betrayal, etc). In return, I provide the chance to play Galloping Pigs. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley might appeal if you like games that essentially involve solving optimization puzzles with your resources. Jambo and Bazaar are two other games that sort of fall into this category.

The main complaint I've heard is that "other people take/use the stuff I built". If you have the mindset that kingdoms in T&E belong to whoever built them, you may not like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The main complaint I've heard is that "other people take/use the stuff I built".

That's a BIG part of the game. You have to find ways of building stuff that's more in your favor than other players. If you don't like this, then I agree that you should stay away. This can come in big when you open a mine near someone with dynamite. You might not get any tokens out of the mine.

Quote:

If you have the mindset that kingdoms in T&E belong to whoever built them, you may not like this game.

Or if you think that the business/hotel you formed in Acquire is "yours".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This can come in big when you open a mine near someone with dynamite. You might not get any tokens out of the mine.

You probably don't deserve any tokens if you opened it near dynamite

I think it's a great game however I do like route planning and exploration games. This plays quickly, the turns fly as you can only do so much on a single turn, and it looks a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference between Lost Valley and Goldland, IMO, is the need to prepare for resource collection. In Goldland, if you draw a tile that lets you get food with a rifle, you place the tile, move to the tile with a rifle, and get your food. In Lost Valley, if you draw a tile with river gold, you place the tile, and then build your canal(s) before drawing the gold. Also, the resources are not unlimited (well, other than the rivers with fish symbols) in LV, where if you have a rifle and you're in the right space, you pretty much always get food if you want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the recomendations. I went ahead and ordered it as well as shadow of the emperor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.