Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David 48, Saarya 35, Elijah 30, Jon 25, Avraham 24

A first time for Avraham, and another learning experience. I played without building a single brick in the first three rounds, hoping that I could save my money for cards and farmers which would provide me with a good position in the second half. Unfortunately, I could not draw a card for my life. I swore never to play card drawing games the normal way - last time I suggested that we play pick two, keep one, and that is the correct way to play. For some reason, I remembered that last time they played this game and that they picked only one card at a time and said they were fine with it - unfortunately, I made a mistake. It was Goa they were fine with pick one, not Amun-Re. Amun-Re has to be pick two, keep one.

Card after card of crap sunk me. Every round the other players played farmers, bonus harvest, 8 gold, etc... I get "adjust the harvest" (not within three points difference the first three times), scoring conditions I can't meet, and duplicates thereof. My third round bid of 15 for Abydos was only to fulfill 2 vp cards.

So I sunk, no money, few points, while David, by round three had amassed some ten cards and was raking in huge profits. He gained 27 gold in round 2, and an amazing 52 in round 3. I said game over (as in, David is going to win by a large amount), and of course he did.

Meanwhile, Saarya was first pointwise by the end of the first scoring round at 21 points to Elijah's 15 and David K's 10. Saarya stould a good chance of almost maintaining the lead if Elijah hadn't played the "adjust the harvest" card to knock the harvest down to feed the camels (of course, mine were long ago traded for cash), depriving Saarya of income, and doing not much to David who was now on his way to 10 pyramids.

David paid 57 gold for his last three provinces, and still came in second place for gold.

E:Memphis (3)
S:Baharya (3)
J:Buro (0)
D:Abu (3)
A:Kharga (3)

E:Avaris (0)
S:Amhara (10)
J:Edfu (10)
D:Mendes (6)
A:Sawu (10)

Eahkla (6)
Samanhur (10)
J:Abydos (15)
D:Berenike (0)
A:Thaklos (10)

S

E:15
S:21
J:9
D:10
A:3

E:Avaris (6)
Samanhur (10)
D:Memphis (21)
A:Berenike (0)

E:Thaklos (6)
S:Edfu (1)
Jahkla (0)
D:Abu (21)
A:Kharga (21)

E:Buto (3)
S:Mendes (0)
J:Baharya (6)
D:Amharna (15)

F

E:30
S:35
J:25
D:48
A:24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Session Report
Shade_Jon (#464617),

E:Memphis (3)
S:Baharya (3)
J:Buro (0)
D:Abu (3)
A:Kharga (3)

This is a situation where I would have probably bid 10 gold for Abu. It's the best round 1 province, and I'm almost always willing to pay 6 gold for it. With Buto as the worst province in the mix and Abu being the only province on that side of the Nile being up for grabs, basically guaranteeing "most pyramids" on that side of the Nile for cheap, I would have paid ten gold. Three gold is a steal.

What was going on here? If it was looking to be a farmer game I can understand the zero bid on Avaris, but why then the 10 bid on Sawu? Must have been Avraham's inexperience. In general the bids here seem on the high side for the second round. Is it really worth that much to avoid getting Avaris?

Eahkla (6)
Samanhur (10)

By this point the VP bonus cards will likely skew the bidding somewhat. In a farmer game bidding 10 gold for Damanhur in the last round is not unreasonable. The bids on Thaklos (that's Thebes, right?) and Abydos seem quite high. Sure, fulfilling 2 bonus cards is good, but I wonder if those 15 gold couldn't have been put to better use in the second half? Maybe you could have gotten it for less?

Thanks for the session report Jon. It's always interesting to see how other people play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report

What was going on here? If it was looking to be a farmer game I can understand the zero bid on Avaris, but why then the 10 bid on Sawu? Must have been Avraham's inexperience. In general the bids here seem on the high side for the second round. Is it really worth that much to avoid getting Avaris?

We're all kind of inexperienced. I think Saarya has played about 15 games, more than the rest of us combined.

E:Dahkla (6)
S:Damanhur (10)

By this point the VP bonus cards will likely skew the bidding somewhat. In a farmer game bidding 10 gold for Damanhur in the last round is not unreasonable. The bids on Thaklos (that's Thebes, right?) and Abydos seem quite high. Sure, fulfilling 2 bonus cards is good, but I wonder if those 15 gold couldn't have been put to better use in the second half? Maybe you could have gotten it for less?

15 was the least I could take it for, and I wanted to get my bonusses. Even if I didn't take it, David was so far ahead in gold that I couldn't compete.

Thanks for the session report Jon. It's always interesting to see how other people play.

I aims to please.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.