Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules state that to play with 2 or 3 players each player takes 2 different color Armies. This seemed a bit cumbersome so I figured out a different way to play with 3 players. Each player took 1 color with an A.I. (artificial intelligence) as the 4th player. The A.I. would be controlled by the last place player in every Epoch and the lowest rolling player in the 1st. We played with the official advanced rules and the A.I. got 1 Minor Kingdom Greater Event card but no others.
Doug (Minoans) was the A.I. in Epoch I who wound-up being the Sumerians. Eric jumped off to a large lead with the Egyptians while I tied the A.I. with the Aryans. This gave me control of the A.I. for the rest of the game as I never climbed past 3rd place. Eric stretched his lead as the Carthaginians in Epioch II with Doug a distant 2nd as the Greek City States. The A.I. was 3rd with the Assyrians while I limped along with the Vedic City States. I gave Doug the Celts in Epoch III and he managed to climb into 1st with them! Eric declined as the Hsiung-Nu while I managed to creep up on the A.I. as the Macedonians. Due to TERRIBLE die-rolling I lost 1/2 (7) of my Army to Doug and couldn't take Southern Europe, this proved to be my downfall to finishing higher than 3rd. The A.I. bit into Eric and Doug as the Sassanids.
In Epoch IV I once again thought I screwed Doug by giving him the Guptas but he carved out a new empire with no losses at all. Eric's Goth's made good progress in Northern Europe with presence in several other areas. The A.I. swept into India demolishing Doug and Eric as they went putting it into a solid 3rd. I managed to mke little headway as the Byzantines because I was stepping all over my previous empires! I passed off the Vikings to Doug but then got stuck with the Franks in Epoch V. Eric's Seljuk Turks carved out a nice empire in India while the A.I. took most of China with the Mongolians. Eric had now closed the gap with Doug to a few points. I passed Doug the Timurid's in Epoch VI while the A.I. got the Incas/Aztecs. Eric got close to 1st playing the Ottoman Turks while I finally passed the A.I. with Spain by putting presence all around the world and controlling most of the Sea areas (1 VP each in the advanced rules).
I had a hard choice to make in Epoch VII but as the A.I. I kept Russia. I then drew the United States and passed it to Doug. Eric drew Britain and kept it (of course!) while Doug passed me the damn dirty Dutch@#$! Eric came in 1st with 199 points, Doug 2nd with 197, me 3rd with 177 and the A.I. 4th with 176.
The A.I. kept the game interesting but didn't slow it down because of lack of cards to play (which didn't seem to hurt it much). I would definatelly recommend playing this way to Geeks who can only scrounge up three players.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.