Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report: Risk
Date: January 2005
Participants: Leo, Christina, David

Well, the "big" snow finally came to Pittsburgh in January - all six inches of it! Not a big storm in my book, but it served to keep us all in the house. Taking advantage of the opportunity, my 11 year old daughter Christina and 9 year old son David and I sat down in our game room and played our first ever "war"game together - RISK! Now, basic Risk as a game certainly leaves a lot to be desired and we “adults” don't usually play one this anymore (although Risk 2210 and LOTR Risk are still favorites), but the kids wanted to play a game and I figured this is about an easy a game as any to start them down the wargaming path. I taught them the rules in about 20 minutes and we were off. I laid back and just picked off one or two territories every turn in order to let the two of them have most of the action. I also limited the game to 10 turns, with whoever had the most territories at the end of the tenth turn being declared the winner. That way, the game would not drag on (no doubt losing their interest) and we would not have to actually eliminate any players (which would have resulted in fights and yelling, not a good thing on a day when we were all cooped up in the same house).

As it turned out, they got the hang of it in a couple of turns and both had a ball trying to control continents and collect card sets for extra armies. David appears to be the more bloodthirsty of the two, and started using an evil laugh as he conquered our lands which sounded an awful lot like the evil laugh I use when I am conquering lands during our gaming sessions. Dave ended up winning with 20 territories controlled, followed by Christina with 15 and dad with only 7. I am most happy that they seemed to have a pretty good time with it and that it held their interest. I am also happy I resisted any uber-competitive impulses that I might have had to run the board after turning in a card set. That can wait till next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.