Subject: Question about the privilege of Mainz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I haven't had a chance to play In the Shadow of the Emperor yet, but hopefully I will get a game in later tonight. However, having read the rules, a question has occurred to me. The player with the elector at Mainz takes as his privilege 1 victory point during Phase 5 (new electors).

My question:

When does the victory point get claimed? Is it
(a) claimed at the beginning of Phase 5 before a new elector could replace the old elector, or is it
(b) claimed at the end of Phase 5 at which time a new elector may have replaced the old elector, or can it be
(c) claimed both at the beginning of Phase 5 by the old elector and at the end of Phase 5 by the new elector in cases where the elector does change?

Here is an example scenario of case (c):

At the beginning of Phase 5, the Blue Player has the elector at Mainz. The Blue Player uses the privilege at Mainz to collect 1 victory point. By the end of Phase 5, however, the Red Player has replaced the Blue Player as the elector at Mainz. For becoming the new elector, the Red Player immediately takes 2 victory points plus 1 additional victory point for the privilege at Mainz.

I'm guessing the above scenario is incorrectly played, and that case (a) is probably the correct way to play the game, but I'd like to know for sure.

Any rulings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Question about the privilege of Mainz
TXLe (#465432),

The victory point is awarded at the end of phase V, when a new elector may have replaced the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
zaiga (#465443),

What you are saying, then, is that during Phase 5 at Mainz, either 1 or 3 victory points will be awarded depending upon whether or not there is a new elector there. If the elector in Mainz does not change throughout Phase 5, the player controlling him will collect 1 victory point as his privilege at Mainz. If the elector at Mainz does change, then the player with the new elector there will collect 3 victory points (2 for becoming the new elector, and 1 for the privilege at Mainz). Is this correct?

I just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
TXLe (#465675),

The way I interpret the rules:

The new elector will only collect the two victory points for becoming the elector (in phase 5).

He will not get the one point for the privilege of Mainz, because he would hve had to take that action in phase 4.

So if the elector changes, neither player will get the privilege of Mainz victory point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
TXLe (#465675),

The way I interpret the rules:

The new elector will only collect the two victory points for becoming the elector (in phase 5).

He will not get the one point for the privilege of Mainz, because he would hve had to take that action in phase 4.

So if the elector changes, neither player will get the privilege of Mainz victory point.

The rules say in two places that the privelege for Mainz takes place in phase V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer (#468407),

Quote:
The rules say in two places that the privelege for Mainz takes place in phase V.

The privilege takes place in phase 5, but don't you need to take the action (slide the elector over to the privilege space) in phase 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Vosper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X (#468411),

I was under the impression that the extra gold (Saxony), and extra victory point privlege (Mainz) dont require the sliding action, since they dont happen in phase 4...they just sort of happen during their respective phases.

Brandenburg (phase V also) is the exception since there is an action card you need to take, it does cost an action--getting that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Psauberer (#468407),

Quote:

The privilege takes place in phase 5, but don't you need to take the action (slide the elector over to the privilege space) in phase 4?

No, because the rules about privileges state (p. 8 of the Rio Grande rules)

Quote:
After using the privilege, the player moves the aristocrat tile to the privilege space to show that the privilege has been used.

Since the privilege doesn't get used until pahse V, you can't slide the tile over until then. The mention on page 4 is part of an explanation of using privileges in phase IV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer (#468469),
Thanks Bob and Paul, that makes more sense. Looks like I was trying to over think it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harrison
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer (#468469),

I'm still unclear on who gets to take the privilege then. Is it the elector immediately at the beginning of the phase, or the new elector after the change (or both?).

It seems to me that as soon as the phase begins, the elector may take the action, and then when the new elector would replace him, he would remain in the 'slid over' space, and couoldn't use the action himself. (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJinSD (#472578),

That's how we played it, since it says that the new elector player "takes one of his aristocrats from the electorate and places him on the elector space." If the previous elector had taken his privilege, then the space that the old elector was set aside from is the privilege space.

This still leaves a loose end as to what happens if the electorate was vacant. We ruled that the new elector still had to put his aristocrat on the privilege space. This is not an ironclad interpretation, however. It just seemed to make sense that Phase V would be over for that electorate once the elector is chosen, so it would be too late to exercise a privilege.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Vosper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer (#472646),

According to the rules here, the FAQ states that the privilege for Mainz occurs at the end of phase V, for what thats worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vosos102 (#472662),

I don't believe that the FAQ is official.

There is at least one question (about the Brandenburg privilege- it cannot be chosen if the player cannot or will not exercise it) that is in direct contradiction to the stated rules.

The answer concerning the Religious Influence card also seems to contradict the rules as stated.

There is no attribution for the translation (which also differs in at least one spot from the Rio Grande rules) so I think that it is just the opinions of whoever posted it. It's a very impresive piece of work and very helpful if you don't have the English version, but it doesn't appear to be official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Psauberer wrote:

I don't believe that the FAQ is official.

There is no attribution for the translation (which also differs in at least one spot from the Rio Grande rules) so I think that it is just the opinions of whoever posted it. It's a very impresive piece of work and very helpful if you don't have the English version, but it doesn't appear to be official.

The FAQ at the end of the file "English Translation v1.1 (2&3 player setup + FAQ)" appears to be a translation of the German FAQ on the HiQ web site:

http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/seiten/0261faq.htm

I assume this is "official".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.