Age of Mythology: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: Our conclusion on 2 players game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
My friend brought this game a month ago with 12 others games (ranging from Apples to Apples to Prince of Florence). It was the second game that we opened (after Doom: The Boardgame). After the unbalance found in Doom (4 players game), we were hoping that AoM would be quite better in term of game design.

We started a 3 players game with all the rules found in the book (Only '6' dice combat, etc.) and words cannot say how much we were dissapointed. That game was a dud like we haven't seen in quite a few years.

We ran to Boardgamegeek to see if there were any mods that could make the gaming experience at least bearable (we just wanted to find a way to use all these cool miniatures).

First let me tell you that my friend doesn't like 3 players game because of the politics (or the metagames some will say). So we decided to concentrate on 2 players game.

So I have read all the articles that I could find here. I was happy to see that some people found the same things that I did: the game is just plain bad as it is. Boardgamegeek's users needs to provided mods to all the Aom player. So we came to the conclusion that the game needed severe change in quite a few angles.

These following are the conclusion that we have obtained after several games on 1vs1 game:

- Hit are done with 5-6 instead of only 6.

- The battle line system most be implemented. Attackers ALWAYS put these unit first (the first round and each round after). Consequence: Attack with a odd number are way better than the others.

- Units only die if there's a difference of 2 or more between attacker and defender. If there's a difference of 1, the unit is replaced in the holding area.

- With these rules, the following cards or units are altered:

Hydras and Valkyrie only gain their bonuses if they kill an enemy unit (Difference of 2 or more). These units rules states that they gains their bonuses if they eliminate the enemy.

Mommies, Heroic Greek Unit and Mythic Norse Hero gain their respectif unit if they gain the battle (Difference of 1 or more). These units rules states that they gains their bonuses if they defeat the enemy.

If a unit uses berserk, he is killed if he doesn't win the combat (he die with tie or below).

Medusa defeat the enemy on a tie and kill the enemy unit if there is a difference of 1 or more.

The Rognarok spell of the Norse read as follow: You choose the attack number of this card.

This version gives a all-around good game. We are satisfied with the way 2 players game are done after these changes. We continue to see some littles errors in the game, and we will do our best to delivers a better 2 players mod over time.

We are also planning to alter these following rules:

- The red cube hasn't been conceived with a 2 players game in mind. So we are thinking to alter the fonction of some of these cards (Most Building and Largest Army)

- The following defensif building most be changed: Armory, Siege Engine Workshop, Grand Temple, Wall & Tower. To do these changes, we are currently thinking adbout a better system of damage done to areas.

Sorry about the mistake, English isn't my primary language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.