JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a group of friends that I am slowly trying to convert to a gaming group. My diabolical plan is developing nicely,--- last month they dubbed me "the Game Wench".

Well, now they want me to teach them Bunco. They heard it was fun. "Hey, I know, let's get our Game Wench to teach us!" They want to play next time we get together. The fact that they are requesting a game is unbelievable!! But why oh why is it bunco???? I've never played bunco and from reading about it, I have NO desire to---

So, what can I bring to the table in lieu of Bunco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has an acquaintance who doesn't play games, other than a monthly "Bunco" group. When this friend hosts it once a year, she invites my wife. It's typically played with lots of people. They usually have either 16 or 20, I think. My wife says it's strictly a social activity. The game itself is just an excuse to get together. She loves to game, but does not consider this a gaming experience. How many people would you be playing with? That would make a difference as to what to suggest.

If you're wanting to stay with a dice game, Knights is light and actually pretty fun. It will accomodate 6. Think of Knights as Yahtzee on steroids. Mindless fun, with at least a bit of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you want a game involving dice that supports large amounts of people, consider Liar's Dice (sometimes known as Bluff or Perudo). It's actually a fantastic game, and despite all of the dice there really isn't any luck involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said how many people. It's 10 adults, with the possibility of a couple kids joining in.

I think Liar's Dice is a good option. But, I'd have to gather a lot of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say anything is better than Bunco! If they have their hart set on rolling I would recommend Dancing Dice and Cloud 9 both are easy to learn and fun with lively players. They hold 6 each so just split the group. If they insist that everyone be playing the same game Ostrakon will support up to 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
I should have said how many people. It's 10 adults, with the possibility of a couple kids joining in.

I think Liar's Dice is a good option. But, I'd have to gather a lot of dice.

Support your local game store. Buy dice by the block. They're a high profit margin item and they will make your store owner happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François D
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have a look to Cosmic Wimpout.
There is a lot of luck involved with dice, and perhaps it couldn't be such fast paced for 10 people, but the stop & go mechanism keeps everybody looking for the other player results (instead of just waiting for his turn).
In addition you could play it with just 5 std dice (but one with a different color).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.