Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefanie Bradley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any opinions on the best games in the area of travel &/or geography?

Stef

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stef! Welcome to BGG!!

By 'best' do you mean 'most interesting gameplay' or do you mean 'best for learning about geography'? There are excellent games in both categories. It also depends somewhat on what part of the world you want.

For 'most interesting', I would probably choose Ticket to Ride (US map), TIcket to Ride: Europe (Europe map, obviously ) or Around the World in 80 Days (world map). These are all fun games that are excellent for people new to boardgaming - they are about the complexity of Through the Desert or Settlers of Catan, to put it in perspective of games you already own. However, none of these are in any way comprehensive if you are wanting to teach geography, and the Ticket to Ride with the US map has some confusing parts where it looks like Chicago is in Indiana & such. They are great games tho!

For 'best for learning' I would suggest the 10 Days in ... series. So far they have 10 Days in the USA and 10 Days in Africa. 10 Days in Europe is due out this year, and I believe I read somewhere that they also plan to do 10 Days in South America, Asia, etc. These games are by the same company that makes Apples to Apples, so you know it's going to be fun & easy to learn, but they aren't QUITE as much fun as the games I mentioned above. Plus they are geographically correct (at least when they were published, I'm sure if you wait too long, some of the borders & names will change ), and list some geography facts such as populations and capital cities.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome.

A new version of a great game called Expedition is coming soon.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/223

The new version is coming from National Geographic with cards in English (published by Ravensburger).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Welcome.

A new version of a great game called Expedition is coming soon.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/223

The new version is coming from National Geographic with cards in English (published by Ravensburger).

Indeed. Expedition is the best there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.