Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a weird situation come up yesterday in a game, and I didn't know the answer.

Let's assume someone has a track leading into a town hex, and then, continuing on the other side of that town hex (i.e., just a simple straight with a town marker on it).

Another player would like to build INTO that town, and connect (by replacing the town tile with a complex one that will enable that access).

On THIS turn, however, he can only build three tiles, and the third tile is the hex NEXT to the simple town hex (i.e., he does NOT have the ability to replace the town hex THIS turn). Is he 'allowed' to build that track, even tho the open end of the rail does NOT connect to the town? I think he probably can (b/c, he's not USING the link to gain access to the town THIS turn), but it looks 'weird' obviously, on the map...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Building unfinished track against another's
It looks weird, but there's nothing wrong with doing that.

The main thing is making sure that it's clearly delineated that the track isn't yet connected by leaving a little gap between the two hexes in question, lest the player forgets that the link isn't yet complete and starts using it before properly connecting to the town.

And, on an aside, this is actually a very good play to make if one is intending to urbanise the town next turn anyway, because your previously unconnected track would then be a full link, and you would cost your opponent 2 victory points in the final tally.

Snazzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Millikan
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In this situation, could someone else upgrade the town hex so that the maximum 4 exits from the town are used, but not attaching to the first player's line? Thus preventing the hookup without the use of urbanization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spotcard (#469485),

Yes, upgrading the track in the manner you suggest is viable, but that would not prevent the town from being urbanised, at which point the connection so isolated would become completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
krainer (#469581),

There are some other considerations as well. First note that just redirecting the end (replacing the last track segment with a different one) is NOT extending the un-completed link and thus is not sufficient to prevent abandonment. Second, if it does become abandoned then the player who urbanizes the town can then claim the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hair
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Player hint:

Build both ends of the track (i.e. from the start and from the destination), leaving the gap in the middle.

It makes it much harder for another player to dick with you by placing the 4th exit elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.