Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow geeks ninja

After many tries, I think I've got a successful way to increase the interest of the investment phase and of the game in general while keeping it simple and logical.

The investment possibilities are now indexed on the current prices of Copper and Tin and the current turn. A given number of water cubes is assigned to each price and each turn :
- Copper :
o 2£ : 4 cubes
o 4£ : 3 cubes
o 8£ : 0 cube
o 10£ : -1 cube
- Tin :
o 4£ : 3 cubes
o 5£ : 2 cubes
o 6£ : 1 cube
o 8£ : 0 cube
- Turn :
o 1st : 2 cubes
o 2nd : 1 cube
o 3rd : 0 cube
o 4th : -1 cube
Each turn, after having determined the new prices of Copper and Tin, add the number of water cubes given by the current prices and the current turn. You should obtain a number of water cubes between -2 and 9.
On the investment table, place one water cube per line starting from the highest (50£) on the column of the current turn. Of course, do not place any cube if the result is -2, -1 or 0. Also ignore cubes after the 7th.
Those water cubes act like neutral investment cubes. Hence, spots that have one can only be invested once (instead of twice) by the players during the investment phase of this turn.

Example : this is the beginning of the 2nd turn. The new Copper price is 10£ and the new Tin price is 4£. -1 (Copper) + 3 (Tin) + 1 (2nd turn) = 3 water cubes has to be added. On the 2nd column of the investment table (2nd turn), add a water cube on the 50£ spot, one on the 40£ spot and one on the 30£ spot. During the investment phase, only one 50£, one 40£ and one 30£ investments (instead of twice) will be possible.

I've tested it once, and friends of I have tested it multiple times with great success. We never play without it.
Tell me what you think !

Thibaut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. I like to sound of it.

What needs creating is a little chart with this information which can be printed off and set beside the board ready for referencing...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks !

I have less skills at anything remotely related to design, drawing and editing (whether by hand or computer-assisted) than the least skilled guy whistle
One way I thought for upgrading the board would be to add small stickers on the price and investment tables showing how many "water investment cubes" each spot/column is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read it all to even try to understand the mechanism. What I'm interested in is what "approved" is meant to mean in the subject line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just means that our game group has tested it multiple times and is very satisfied with it. As I said, we never play without it anymore.

No more, no less
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a chart, so you don't have to do any math...

KEY (# of water cubes to place):
TURN1|TURN2
TURN3|TURN4

Tin ------Copper Price-------
Price 2 4 8 10
4 7|7 7|7 5|4 4|3
7|6 6|5 3|2 2|1

5 7|7 7|6 4|3 3|2
6|5 5|4 2|1 1|0

6 7|6 6|5 3|2 0|0
5|4 4|3 1|0 0|0

8 6|5 5|4 0|0 0|0
4|3 3|2 0|0 0|0

It seems the idea is that the less money you make (low prices), the fewer cubes you can put out because there are more neutral investors. Also, that later in the game more investment spots open up. Am I reading that right? Isn't that the same as you'd expect in a normal game (with rules as written)? So this is interesting, but how is this making things better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your chart seems to be wrong. There should be at least one cube on turn 1 whatever the prices are.
Here is the corrected chart :

KEY (# of water cubes to place):
TURN1|TURN2
TURN3|TURN4

Tin ------Copper Price-------
Price 2 4 8 10
4 7|7 7|7 5|4 4|3
7|6 6|5 3|2 2|1

5 7|7 7|6 4|3 3|2
6|5 5|4 2|1 1|0

6 7|6 6|5 3|2 2|1
5|4 4|3 1|0 0|0

7 6|5 5|4 2|1 1|0
4|3 3|2 0|0 0|0

Yes, you are reading it right. The thing is that I did choose the values so that the neutral investment cubes should always cover some spots that could be invested. It means that the investment possibilities are more restricted and the decision to pass during action phase is even more tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Thanks for the correction!

Looking forward to seeing what others think about this variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone try it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gatheral
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My three player group is interested in trying this. I have a question though: should there be a variable for three player games over four player games? It seemed to my group that it would make sense for there to be less available spaces in a three player game than in a four player game.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David ! Thank you for your interest.
I'm not sure that I have anything to say about the configurations.

Objectively, all other aspects of the game don't bother with this issue. I'm not sure it is of any interest to specifically tweak the investment phase while leaving the rest of the game as is.
Subjectively, I'm not fond of the 3-player configuration. I find it lacks way too much tension for my tastes.

However, I agree that there should be some scaling in this game.
Please feel free to try it and to tweak it the way you like ! And tell me how it went and how your group felt about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
[..i was just thinking to have a simpler low > 3, 2, 1, 0 < high. " neutral " cubes added, both ores, all turns, to the investment track { top to bottom } ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use this variant all the time when we play, and LOVE it! It creates more purpose and gaming interest during the Investment Phase. The tension is a lot of fun during the last round - since you no longer have the benefit of having more money (if you get blocked out) to use on subsequent rounds - because there are none.

The last round is normally filled with people mining like crazy to squeeze every last drop of ore out of their mines... but if they pass too late they may find themselves getting blocked on some key final VP's in the end.

This variant is not only elegant and easy to use but totally makes sense. Great job, Thibaut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to trying this when my copy arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.