15 Posts

BANG!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: *Exhaustive* Bang! The Video Game Review -- Day 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cable
msg tools
* indicates editing notes

I was introduced to Bang! about 5 months ago, and I have loved it ever since the first game I Played. I recently purchased the Bullet version, so I have been able to play a couple of the expansions as well. I am by no means an expert, but I would like to think I know what I am doing when I play.

I originally purchased the video game version for Windows Vista on December 23rd, the day it was released for the PC. My first attempt at playing it resulted in me receiving an error during installation. I contacted the Bang! staff and they were prompt in their responses and stated they were working on that issue.

Today (Januaray 12), I received an email with a new version of the game to download and install. Installation worked perfectly for me. I was finally able to play the game.

Interface
When I began, I was required to do the tutorial first. This is when I encountered my first problem. During the tutorial, I was told to draw two cards. Unfortunately I had no idea where they were. I could not see the draw pile or cards in my hand. There is also a skip button that you have to click during the game that I could not see.

Because I couldn't play, I exited the tutorial. Fortunately, I was able to select the single player mode. Too bad I ran into similar problems.

Before the game starts you are shown an objectives screen. It lists the roles that are being used for the game. On this screen you select the role to read a description. When you are done, you click the skip button to move on. I could not see the cards or the skip button. I had to click randomly to find the skip button and move on to gameplay.

During the gameplay, I could not see the skip button or the cards. So I closed down the program and tried again.

Attempt #2 yielded better results, but the game was still unplayable. This time around I was able to see the role cards and the skip button. I couldn't see the playing cards, so I closed down and restarted.

Attempt #3 allowed me to play the game. I could see everything. After completion, I tried again. I wasn't sure if the game needed add little by little or if it was luck of the draw.

Attempt #4 was bad. This time I could not see the characters or the playing cards.

Attempts #5 and 6 worked perfectly.

Options
When you are at the title menu, you can select Tutorial, Single Player, Multiplayer, and Quit on the right. On the bottom of the screen you can select Settings, Help, Trophies?, Standings?, Background, and Credits.

Multiplayer, Trophies, and Standings are currently unavailable. They are going to be released in future free updates.

When you enter the single player you will see several options. Options, which allows you to select the number of players and the difficulty, Expansion 1, Expansion 2, Expansion 3, Roles, Characters, and Play.

Currently Expansion 1, 2, 3, most characters, and Normal difficulty are unavailable but will become available in free updates.

Gameplay
In the current release, characters have no special abilities. That takes a lot away from the replay value. In future releases, though, it will become available. You cannot play the multiplayer version or change the difficulty to normal, which really bugs me. I will explain later.

I really like the graphics and how the cards come to life based on their function. The visuals are crisp and the sounds are pleasant as well. The game is aesthetically pleasing.

I don't know if my friends and I play by different rules, but there are some new things to me in the video game. I'll have to read over the rules again, but some new things I saw were:

1. Everyone starts with 4 cards *(I see now it relates to lives)
2. Sheriff maxes at 5 lives and everyone else at 4
3. You can Panic! and Cat Balou cards in a players hand *(Didn't know that after all!)

Maybe I have been playing wrong. I don't know.

A major problem with the game right now is the strategy. I have played 3, 4, and 5 play games. I will explain what happened during each.

3 Player
When you play a 3 person game, the Deputy must kill the Renegade, the Renegade must kill the Outlaw, and the Outlaw must kill the Deputy. Everyone's role is seen. Pretty cut and dry, right?

I started out as the Renegade. The Deputy went first and immediately shot the Outlaw. Dumb move because the Deputy has to kill me, the Renegade. By the end of the game, the Deputy shot the Renegade twice and me once. I never had a Mustang card. I won.

4 Player
The 4 player game has 1 Sheriff, 1 Renegade, and 2 Outlaws. Again, I started out as the Renegade. The seating was Sheriff - Outlaw 1 - Outlaw 2 - Renegade. I think we can all agree that the Outlaws goal is to kill the Sheriff. On Outlaw 1's first turn, he shot Outlaw 2. The Sheriff was in reach. On Outlaw 1's second turn, he shot Outlaw 2.

Outlaw 2 quickly died from being shot by me as well. After Outlaw 2 died, Outlaw 1 decided to finally shoot the Sheriff. I shot Outlaw 1. What does the Sheriff do? He shoots me. Outlaw 1 soon died, leaving the Sheriff and I.

At one point I had a Barrell, Mustang and Scope. The Sheriff had a Volcanic. Each round, I was able to Bang! the Sheriff. Sometimes I missed. When the Sheriff finally got a Cat Balou, he used it on my Scope. Shouldn't he have gotten rid of my Mustang?

I eventually won by slowly picking off the Sheriff. By the end of the game, he never got rid of my Mustang and kept his Volcanic. He discarded a Winchester, Remington, and 2 Beer cards. He could have drunk the beer.

5 Player
I played the 5 player version 3 separate times. In 5 player you have 1 Sheriff, 1 Rengade, 1 Deputy, and 2 Outlaws. Each time I played I was an Outlaw.

The first game I was seated next to the sheriff. I immediately shot him. My role was known to everyone on my first turn of the game. Seated to my left ended up being another outlaw. His first time he shot to his left. His second turn he dueled me twice. Why would an Outlaw duel his partner? Twice even? You are not limited in how far you can duel. Sheriff Won.

The second game was the most normal one I have played. The other outlaw died, and then everyone else shot at me. After I died, the Sheriff waited until either the Deputy or the Renegade died. Sheriff Won.

The third game was similar to the first. I shot the sheriff, and then I proceeded to get shot from every other player. I was shot by the deputy, outlaw, renegade, and sheriff. I died within 2 turns.

Conclusion
Until the AI gets better or I can play humans, the video game version is a waste of time and money. If you can be the sheriff in 5 or more players, I would say you have a 90% chance of winning. For whatever reason, the Sheriff is hardly targeted early in the game.

I wish I had the randomness of the characters abilities. Instead, I have the randomness of who is going to get shot. Out of the 7 games I have played so far, only 1 of them made sense.

It's still a cheap game, but it is nothing like playing your friends. *It is, however a great way to learn the universal rules of Bang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cable
msg tools
After reading of the rules, I see now that you are supposed to start out with the same number of cards as you have lives.

I also think it is correct that you can draw or discard from the hand of another player with the Panic! and Cat Balou!.

I'll put this as a pro for the video game. There are tons of rules for Bang!, especially with expansions. The video game is an easy way to learn the various rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out tonight. You know the game's not off to a good start when you're Willy the Kid and the game automatically ends your turn after one Bang! played with two more in your hand.

Also, there's a serious lack of polish in the interface. Don't get me wrong, the graphics and effects are really nice. But at the same time they're really in your face and annoying.

For example, during each player's turn you get a view of the full board with everyone's cards and whatnot. Perfect. That's what I'd expect. In the transition between turns, however, everything's wiped off the screen and a huge picture of the next player's face appears for a moment. Doesn't sound like much, but it gets old fast when it happens every 5 seconds. Sort of UI whiplash or something.

I'm afraid it's a thumbs down from me until they go back and streamline the UI so it's actually enjoyable to be played and not forcibly "dazzled" by slick graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a game that wasn't tested... at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really, really excited about this release, but it has done little more than disappoint. If Blizzard would have released the latest Starcraft II in this stage of completion you could just imagine how it would have been received. It seems like they should have pushed back the release a few months instead of trying to get in on the Christmas cash cow. I'm excited about the possibility of the updates, but they seem to be focusing on releasing the game for more platforms first. How long must we wait to have Bang in the form it was meant to be played in...I just want special abilities for the characters for a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Bang for the PC, 'cause I gather it's on a price reduction right now and when it gets to the "full" version I'll get the upgrades for free. So I'm basically saving a few bucks now and hoping the game will be worth it soon enough.

I've only played through the tutorial so far, and these are my complaints:

1. For someone who's only played a few games of Bang, it's sometimes hard to tell what the cards do. A lot of it can be guessed at by looking at the symbols, but unfortunately, their system for showing you card text is kinda broken. To see a card's text, you click on it in your hand and the text will start scrolling across the top of the screen. I can't put enough emphasis on how bad that system is. Scrolling. Why are we scrolling? The text isn't that long, it doesn't take up that much space; just give me the entire card text so I don't have to sit here and wait.

As if the wait isn't bad enough, there appears to be a timer on the scrolling text--meaning it will only scroll for, say, 3 seconds. If the card had more than 3 seconds worth of text, guess what? It gets truncated. I couldn't figure out what a Saloon did (once again, haven't played the game much IRL), so I just played it and saw myself giving everyone health. Joy!

2. Another problem is that you can't see the text of cards that are in play. You just have to go by the symbols/card titles. There's no way to click on them and even get the scrolling text.

3. It's sort of hard to de-select a card you don't want to play. If you click it once to get that scrolling text, you have to wait a few seconds for the card to slink back into your hand. If you click it again before it slinks (as I did, assuming that would put it back into my hand), guess what? The card gets played. There needs to be some system for this--maybe allow us to click elsewhere on the playing field to send the card back into our hands, unplayed?

So, yes, there are some definite flaws. However, those can be easily fixed. The good news is that the game looks like it could be great once all the bugs and UI issues are taken care of. I dig the sounds for the various cards being played (guzzling on a beer card, gunshot on a bang card, etc.). And the game looks pretty enough, so that's good.

Summary: I think the game will end up being good once things get fixed. As of right now, it's probably not worth buying unless you're looking to save about $4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wen
United States
Lake Forest
Click to Select (if applicable)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially excited about this release, but it sounds like a disappointing. How could they release an unfinished game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hensley
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited when I received an email this morning informing me that the never version 1.05 was available. I downloaded expecting more stuff to be unlocked, but alas, they only fixed some problems that I wasn't having.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palzoun Palzoun
msg tools
Hi,
we want to thank all the people who are buying Bang! at very special launch price: they are really helping us to prepare the game to be exactly what expert players want it to be.

And we also want to thank all of you who express critics on the game, contributing to push us to the best effort.

We sincerely hope you will be happy with the Character abilities\language\Expert mode and MultiCross-platform updates, which are coming very soon.

We think Bang! could be a classic in digital boardgames and we are working very hard to make it happen.

Thanks!
Bang! Dev team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an email saying there's an update for Bang on the PC, and a lot of the additions look great! (Though, sadly, no multiplayer.) There's a problem, though: I've been downloading the update (215mb) for abuot 4 hours, and the downloader estimates I have 3 hours left, but it's stopped downloading.

Anyone know if there's an alternate download location, or something? I've been lookin' forward to this ever since I opened up the email, and now things have stopped! cry

EDIT: In other news, Google Chrome (for as much as I love it) doesn't have a confirmation box when you select "cancel" on a download (not even when you meant to click anything BUT "cancel," after downloading for 4 hours . . .).

So, looks like we're startin' over. Awesome. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alazzar wrote:
I got an email saying there's an update for Bang on the PC, and a lot of the additions look great! (Though, sadly, no multiplayer.) There's a problem, though: I've been downloading the update (215mb) for abuot 4 hours, and the downloader estimates I have 3 hours left, but it's stopped downloading.

Same problem I had this morning. Getting ready to try again soon though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I've played the new-and-improved version of the Bang video game, and here's what I've found:

-The ability to skip animations is possibly the greatest change made in this patch. Speeds the game up quite a bit.

-Characters now have special abilities (and their appropriate health values, instead of everyone just having 4), which is the other change that's a contender for greatest.

-The AI still stinks. If I shoot the sheriff, why would an Outlaw challenge me to a duel? Shouldn't he assume that we're on the same side, being that I--ya know--shot the sheriff? Furthermore, why wouldn't he just duel the sheriff? It's always frustrating to be killed by someone that's on your team. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, last night the update still downloaded slow but at least it went through finally. I'm lovin' everything about it! Yeah, the AI still can suck like Zach says and it can be frustrating at times because of it but this game is still a blast to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think it was possible, but I think the AI may have actually gotten worse in this last patch. I'm really sick of being an Outlaw, establishing myself as such by shooting the Sheriff, and then having the other Outlaws steal/destroy my cards.

The AI seems to be decent as far as choosing targets for Bangs goes, but they make ridiculous decisions for the Panic and Cat Balou cards. For example, I just played a four-player game . . .

Sheriff went first, didn't shoot anyone because she didn't know who anyone was yet. That makes sense.

I went second. I stole the sheriff's barrel and shot her. You'd think that would mean that MAYBE I'M AN OUTLAW.

The next guy goes. He puts me in jail. Okay, that's fine--I figure it probably means he's the Renegade and trying to keep me from killing the Sheriff. That means the fourth player is the second Outlaw, right?

His turn comes up and he uses Cat Balou to destroy my barrel. Meaning if he really was the Outlaw, he just hurt his teammate. If he was actually the Renegade, then that means the other Outlaw put me in jail.

As it turns out, the guy who took my barrel was the other Outlaw. WHY would he do this to his teammate?

This game gets really frustrating sometimes. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carr
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have create a online web Bang! clone. "Kraplow!"
Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://usedbabies.zapto.org/bang

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.