Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bookmark [+] microbadge_focus [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to: Re: Microbadge Submissions, Design, and Feedback (post all new microbadges here before submission)

There is no formal process in place to submit corrections to microbadges. Given how busy the developers are at the moment, I doubt that a correction submission form will be implemented any time soon, either. So at the moment it's a bit chaotic, with some folks posting in various threads (but risking getting lost in the noise) and other geekmailing Skippen directly (but risking duplicating requests, since geekmails are private).

Let us discuss here how best to address this issue. This keeps our comments together and means they won't get buried in the general design and submission discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own opinion is that the best route to take is to use the functionality of the wiki. A page like this, Microbadge Fixes, can be edited by any user (allowing anyone to note fixes required, and to remove fixes already implemented), is visible (reducing the risk of duplicate requests), and is persistent (reducing the risk of requests getting lost).

A thread doesn't allow implemented fixes to be removed from the list (short of the person who raised the request deleting their post). and doesn't keep related comments made at different times together.

A geeklist is somewhat cumbersome, allowing only 25 requests per page. Microbadges are small, so a single page should suffice for gathering correction requests together.

What are your own opinions?

(For info, I've gone through all of the badges from Awards to Game Related in populating that initial Microbadge Fixes, noting my own personal view of what improvements should be made. Feel free to add your own comments in the "Notes" column, or even to add your own suggestions for corrections. But Skippen hasn't given his blessing so it's not the official process, and listing something there doesn't guarantee that it will get fixed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:

Good on you man. I had to check the history. It looked like something that had been there for ages.

I love it. If there's ever the slightest indication that it will be utilized and those corrections will be made I'll add my own.

We need to get Skippen on board or perhaps have an assistant MB admin if he's not interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
We need to get Skippen on board.

I have, of course, geekmailed him to point him towards this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
I have been in contact with an admin in perhaps gaining an assistant to help clean up all the old badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have time to do it right now, but another helpful thing would be to make separate tables for different types of fixes, such as putting all the category fixes in one table, name changes in another, mouseover changes in another, etc. That way it would be easier to read because the "Suggested Fix" could be two columns that are easier to read than one column with a sentence. For example...

Microbadge Fixes
MB Name Suggested Fix Notes
mb Zillions of Games fan Change Group from "Game Related / Misc" to "Internet"

becomes...

Microbadge Category Fixes
MB Name Current Category Proposed Category Notes
mb Zillions of Games fan Game Related / Misc Internet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
I don't have time to do it right now, but another helpful thing would be to make separate tables for different types of fixes, such as putting all the category fixes in one table, name changes in another, mouseover changes in another, etc.

I completely agree. I came to this conclusion myself whilst creating that initial wiki page, but the time it took to populate it meant that I burnt myself out for today.

I'll look at changing the formatting tomorrow, splitting out those entries that include multiple fixes.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I have been in contact with an admin in perhaps gaining an assistant to help clean up all the old badges.

I think that's a great idea. Spread the work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
cscottk wrote:

While purchasing 100 microbadges today, i noticed quite a bunch that belonged to a different category than that which they're currently in. Shall I make a wiki edit for each of those, or is there another way to propose different categories?

And there were some badges with missing blank spaces between characters (e.g. the Thaadd Powell FFG customer service fan badge). Are such "mistakes" also eligible for correction or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
wildthayne wrote:
cscottk wrote:

It was more Bail's idea than mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things.

1. It's long been a pet peeve of mine that the "Internet" group contains a lot of content that isn't "about" the Internet, it just appears on the Internet. I think we should remove the "Internet" high-level group, and put the content where it really belongs.
For example:
- Web Comics should go under Pop Culture, along with Comics
- Boardgame-related podcasts should go under Game Related
- Things that really are about the Internet (e.g. Wikipedia user) should go under Computers and Technology

2. This question appears on the wiki:
Quote:
A more general question is whether we should enforce consistency in capitalisation. In general most badges use "fan" / "user" / "participant" etc. but there are some with "Fan" / "User" / "Participant". Should we also submit fixes to these in order to bring them in line with the majority of microbadges?

My answer to this is "Yes, but it should be a low priority right now." If all goes well, we will have an assistant admin with a bunch of changes to make at the outset. Presumably, the mad rush will eventually subside and it will transition to a relatively quiet period of ongoing changes. We will then be able to shift our focus to these kind of cleanups.

We can try to not make the problem worse by not adding additional badges that need to be changed later and by cleaning up these things if we need to change microbadges for other reasons. But otherwise, put the capitalization changes in their own table, which gets worked on last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
2. This question appears on the wiki:
Quote:
A more general question is whether we should enforce consistency in capitalisation. In general most badges use "fan" / "user" / "participant" etc. but there are some with "Fan" / "User" / "Participant". Should we also submit fixes to these in order to bring them in line with the majority of microbadges?

My answer to this is "Yes, but it should be a low priority right now." If all goes well, we will have an assistant admin with a bunch of changes to make at the outset. Presumably, the mad rush will eventually subside and it will transition to a relatively quiet period of ongoing changes. We will then be able to shift our focus to these kind of cleanups.

We can try to not make the problem worse by not adding additional badges that need to be changed later and by cleaning up these things if we need to change microbadges for other reasons. But otherwise, put the capitalization changes in their own table, which gets worked on last.
I've been extraordinarily busy this week, so oddly not very opiniative regarding these matters (I'm always eager to provide my opinion, however dumb it may be! laugh ) but I just wanted to pipe in in regards to this.
The rationale sounds good to me, for whatever that's worth, but on the other hand, there are quite a few types of changes that are very simple to automate (with human intervention only being needed to check the odd badge that differs from the norm). For example, I see little point in people ever listing the roughly 900 microbadges that capitalize fan (yes, I'll say that again, around 900, and that's reasonably accurate, as things like "Final Fantasy" and whatnot aren't included), as it's pointless human work.

What I'm saying is to not to jump the gun with this, and that it should be reasonably well thought through, so people don't start losing a lot of time pointlessly, as tools exist and/or can easily be created not only to help in performing the actual changes but also to find mistakes and even to collect corrections submitted by people.
(having said that, great work Stelio!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
cscottk wrote:

Isn't Dave able to these types of changes as well? I know that most of these badges will be outside of his wheelhouse, but it would be awfully sweet of him to lend a hand if he could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
drewdane wrote:
cscottk wrote:

Isn't Dave able to these types of changes as well? I know that most of these badges will be outside of his wheelhouse, but it would be awfully sweet of him to lend a hand if he could.

Yeah, he could, but he really has his hands full in RPG land, I don't want to intrude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there should be a "Corrections" link to select when you're on a badge's page where a user could enter the correction and then an admin just has to approve it, just like game info corrections (I think that's how the game corrections work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
Maybe there should be a "Corrections" link to select when you're on a badge's page where a user could enter the correction and then an admin just has to approve it, just like game info corrections (I think that's how the game corrections work).

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:

Stelio wrote:
Given how busy the developers are at the moment, I doubt that a correction submission form will be implemented any time soon, either.

The developers are busy with big things regarding the core features of the site (such as updating the user interface). Microbadges are rather fringe in comparison, so it's doubtful anything will get developed soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
It is official. Bail will be helping out clean-up the badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Bail!

Shall we send a geekmail when we spot something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Going gentle into that good night
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this project only for descriptions and categories, or does it extend to the microbadges themselves?

mb

This microbadge is only 16x14, and since one of the UI changes over the past year or so, gets shoved up against the patron badge (see my MB display). It would look far better with a row of transparent pixels at the top and bottom, so it's centred the same as other microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
Engoduun wrote:
Congrats, Bail!

Shall we send a geekmail when we spot something?

Bail is working the larger scene. Either of us will work, but he may want to create a new way to report these issues, so let's wait to hear from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippen or Bail, can any of you create a subfolder under VGG for the genres? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
garion wrote:
Skippen or Bail, can any of you create a subfolder under VGG for the genres? Thanks!
I'm handling the base category of the video game badges as we speak... I'll be in touch shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [159] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.