United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's lots of crossover between the RPG and boardgaming sets -- in fact, I'm an avid gamer of all types. I probably migrated from RPGs to boardgames, but still RP regularly. As a freelance developer, I work where I can, and thankfully over the last year the vast majority of my contracts have been writing content for RP publishers, keeping me actively involved in RPing even though my groups' schedule shifts have been better suited to the spontaneity and discrete sessions of boardgaming.

The boardgame and RP hobbies both fill important niches in my life, and fulfill strong interaction/social needs. Of the large circle of gamers I interact with, I'd say that about 1/2 of them boardgame and RP regularly. The remaining 1/2 is split evenly between those that focus on only one of the two pasttimes.

What about y'all, the BGG community?

How many of you also enjoy RPGs?
What are your favorite RP games/genres?
Which type of gaming started you in the gaming hobby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran F G
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Café Race is a race game set in a business office. The players take the role of office workers going upstairs to the first floor to get a cup of coffee who then improvise a race while they are going back downstairs… with a cup full of coffee.
badge
Someone you trust is one of us. Fnord. - Ich bin ein Spielfreak, aber ich spiele sehr selten
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a former RPG gamer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much enjoy RPGs. I love fantasy, science fiction, cyber punk and horror.

Favorite have been D&D, Vampire, Wraith, and Shadowrun.

Haven't played many of these lately, since working on the HDL project and having to playtest it.

Out of those listed above I would say that Wraith was my favorite, though least played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Boomhower
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Clinically obsessed with RPGs for most of my life. Was collecting them avidly before I found the geek. (hit RPG.net multiple times a day). Once I came here, my gaming dreams were better realized as it is much easier to get a bunch of adults around the table for a boardgame than a role playing game....though I still pull them out for a good read now and then.

What we played - D&D (of course), Gamma World, Vampire, a bit of Conspiracy X, a bit of Shadowrun, HOL...

What I wish we had played - Nobilis, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Godlike, Unknown Armies, Paranoia, Kult, Call of Cthulhu, In Nomine (all of which I own and never played)

I will always dream of a day when I can hit this hobby again...but until then, I will sate my sick desires with BGG. Thank you all.

Red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kelsey
United States
kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a longtime RPGer. Hopefully the Geek will eventually create a companion RPG site so I can enter my entire collection in it as well.
Games I have played include (but is certainly not limited to): Call of Cthulhu, D&D, Rolemaster, Runequest, Elfquest, Elric, Traveller, Morrow Project, GURPS, Champions, Fantasy Hero, Fringeworthy, MERP sauron, Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith zombie, Changeling, Mummy, Pendragon, Spacemaster & Bushido. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can count me into the legion of RPG fans here. I've been doing it for a long time now, much longer than boardgaming. Of course, I don't get to do it much anymore, but I'm thrilled that FanPro is finally making a Shadowrun 4.

Tragic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played RPGs a lot. Mostly fantasy, with the occasional WW2 adventure. I started with AD&D 2nd edition; I have also played GURPS a lot (do not like the new edition though). Now playing D&D 3rd, which IMHO is better than 2nd, yet worse than GURPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I started gaming with Battletech about 14 years ago. Soon after that I was introduced to Roleplaying (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, which remains my favorite to this day) and mainly was a Roleplayer (too many Systems to count) until about 6 years ago. Then I shifted more to Boardgames - mainly because Boardgames are less time consuming, it is less of an commitment and it´s easier to find players. In the last years, I played RPGs on a very iregular basis (once a month at some times, once a year at others) but recently there was more play and I hope this will increase...I am very excited about the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I started my gaming career playing Escape from Colditz, Magic Realm and Guadalcanal when I was 10 or so. I moved to Rolemaster and it's little cousin, MERP when I was 15 or so.

That's when I 'saw the light', figured out that games with a million stats and lots of min-maxing were not my thing, and moved to Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia, with some less known RPGs from Spain thrown in between.

I've tried D&D multiple times, but I've found that it attracts people that like RPGs for the opposite reasons than I do: I couldn't care less about seeing my character move from level 1 to 23. I care about how a character changes based on events bigger than himself, that he can't control. The average D&Der that I've known was all about shaping the campaing world, playing the same character for years. I'd rather leave my plans for world domination for the real worldsauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played D&D in junior high & AD&D in high school, but haven't played any RPGs since, don't really have any interest in the current RPGs either. I guess that puts me in the minority But honestly, the roleplaying aspects never appealed to me as much as the puzzle solving aspects, and those are more prominent and accessible in boradgames, for me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in.
d10-1 I started with D&D. I hated the magic system, and still do.
d10-2 I found other more exciting stuff out there.
d10-3 I then went on an excursion for finding and learning some of the lesser known RPG's. This lasted a long while.
d10-5 I finally found an RPG that is a nearly perfect blend of storytelling, adventuring, and gaming. The game is Dragonlance fifth Age with the Saga rules system. I know very little about Dragonlance, and never play in that setting, but the Saga rules system is brilliant. Tying the two together was a major marketing mistake in my book.
d10-6 Now, I only play with the Saga rules system (quite frequently), except for the occasional AD&D game that my brother-in-law DM's. I have not kept up with the latest RPG offerings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teioh
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been played RPG's since 1983 or so. I started with red-box D&D, then went to Marvel Super Heroes, Star Frontiers, AD&D 1st ed (still the best). Eventually started playing the White Wolf games (who didn't in the mid-90's?), Call of Cthulhu, Feng Shui, L5R, GURPS, Cyberpunk, Robotech, Rifts (boooo!!!!...I think this is possibly the worst rpg ever). Around 2000, we settled on D&D 3e, which I quickly grew tired of (too damn much multiclassing). I've pretty much stopped gaming period, although I am playing in an Ars Magica game that we play about once a month or so. FOr the most part, I think my interests currently lie in boardgaming, mostly for the reasons everyone else stated (time, which is a big deal, getting a decent group) but also because of player apathy. Oh, well. I should probably unload the hundreds of game books I have laying around.

ed.s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bounced between RPG's and board games all along. Lately I play way more board games than RPG's. We have not played an RPG in months. We talk about it, but it's hard to get a solid core of players to commit. Much easier to do mini's or board games. RPG's take a ton more time. At least from the GM.
Played a bunch of different ones over the years. All the versions of D&D, Warhammer, Shadow run, Cyber Punk, Deadlands, Stormbringer and Cathulu. Can't really say any one was a favorite. We played more D&D than anything else because it's the most accessible I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I avidly played RPGs every Saturday of almost every week, for months at a time, all through my childhood. My favorites were D&D and AD&D (both 1st edition). Over the years I've also played Chivalry & Sorcery, Runequest, Traveller, Space Opera, Champions, Rolemaster, MERP, and Gamma World. I also have an interest in others such as Mutant Chronicles, Pendragon, Warhammer FRP, Ars Magica, and Heavy Gear, but have not tried them yet because they were released after I had moved on to other types of gaming.

Part of the reason I became a Game Designer was due to those years of being immersed in role-playing games. I spent hours poring over different rulesets to see how they differed, to compare the benefits and drawbacks of each system, and to learn how to create a believable world. I have fond memories of furiously sketching down ideas on huge sheets of graph paper or hex paper, creating dungeons and worlds to run massive campaigns. I remember reading that after Madonna made her millions, she returned to her high school teacher and said, "See...I told you I didn't need to know MATH!" . Well..to all those people that said D&D was a waste of time, or geeky, or even Satanic devil, I'm here to say that, for me, these games were a huge positive force in my life. The potential for creativity and learning is immense for a child involved in these games and, like I said, they helped to shape my future and to get me where I am today. I owe a big debt of thanks to Gary Gygax and all of the other great designers who have unknowingly nurtured me over the years. So...THANKS!

I'm actually interested in maybe starting up a campaign in either AD&D (3rd ed.) or Rolemaster, if I can find a good group. Seems like it would be really fun now, in a retro sort of way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Allen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though RPGs were what got me started in the gaming hobby about 15 years ago, today I'm both an active Boardgamer and a RPG'er. Thursday nights are devoted to meeting with my boardgaming group where Saturday nights are set aside for meeting up with my RPG friends for a campaign. We typically play D&D 3.5 or Mutants and Masterminds, all d20 system stuff. We've tried out a dozen or more different RPGs over the years but none of them have the lasting power of good old D&D, mostly due to all of us being familiar and comfortable with the magic and combat system. I think we'd all love Rifts for it's great setting and character building if the combat system didn't drive everyone in my group up a wall. Still dreaming of the day we see a Rifts d20 system. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devi "Day" Hughes
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Orange County Board Gamers - come play games with us! http://www.ocbg.net
badge
Prince With A Thousand Enemies
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still be roleplaying if I had the time; two children and a wife get in the way. I'll get back to it someday. I mostly GM'd back when I did. I like games with unusual or unique settings. Favorites of mine:

Traveller
Skyrealms of Jorune
Nephilim
Harn

As far as gaming systems go, GURPS is very solid (and VERY well supported), but I'll play just about anything. I grew up playing D&D, of course, but Traveller was my first non-fantasy RPG and Middle Earth Roleplaying was my first non-D&D fantasy game. The Hero system is also good, for more than just superheros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to put me into a category of previous RPG'er. Not because I wouldn't want to, just no time for RPG and boardgaming at this juncture.

As for what RPG's i've enjoyed, i'll give you my unordered list:
Favs:

D&D
Morrow Project
SLA industries

The rest:

Gamma World
Deadlands
Shadowrun
Traveller & most iterations of that.
Marvel Superheroes
Earthdawn
Palladium
Talislanta
Warhammer Fantasy
Ars Majica
Harnmaster
Stormbringer
TMNT
Skyrealms of Jorune
Spacemaster
Star Wars WEG
Mutant Chronicles
Heavy Gear
Over the edge
Vampire: The Masquerade -- Sorry about that one, got talked into it... shake
Boot Hill
RIFTS
Twilight 2000
Ninjas & Superspies
Call of Cthulhu
Dark Conspiracy
KULT
Macho Women With Guns

And some others, that I can't recall at the moment. Of course started with D&D and Gamma World. And Zero GURPS.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very much an ex RPG gamer, though I got into games through boardgames and minis. I played from about 1976 to 1981 pretty much solidly, and every now and then since. Would like to get back into it but there seems to be some block, and most of my friends are boardgamers. Have played D&D, Traveller, Space Opera, C&S, CoC, Bushido, etc. And have purchased many, many more and would love to have played Pendragon, Runequest, and Supers stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Brandon
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a dice chucker. Playing since I was 10 (1981) and will never forget out first adventure when we were attacked by creatures carrying maces. The only Mace we knew about was the spray in my moms purse so that's what MACE was a harmful spray!!

The only one I actively play now is Castles & Crusades from Troll Lord Games. If you played Original D&D in the boxed sets or Advanced D&D 1st Ed. Then this will swiftly remind you of all the fun you originally had. Finally gaming is fun again and rules lite! More time for story, less for thumbing through feats attacks of opportunity etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Like many people, I played D&D in the 80s as a teenager, haven't done any since. To be honest, I go into a gaming shop and look at the shelves of RPG stuff and think how over it I am.

Boardgames are just so much more conducive to having a real life and I would just feel silly pretending to be a Dwarf now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a roleplayer!

I really started with roleplaying and was heavily into that; later got heavily into miniature wargames and was really into those, and just within the last few years really discovered what great boardgames are out there. The funny thing is, I'm now much more into boardgames than anything else. They can fit nicely into just about any stray chunk of time, and its just so hard to get a good roleplaying group and have it stay together any length of time.
I've played all sorts of RPGs. I'd probably count some of my favorites as Ironclaw, Dragonstorm and BESM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm a role player from a time long long ago when RPing meant actually Role Playing and not just stat calculating. Where the story being fleshed out was more important than the XP at the end of it all. Sadly I can not find people of the same ilk and so don't currently do any RPGs.

Boardgames are definitely where I'm at now-a-days. I would love to come across a good group of RPGers out there who want to explore a world and maybe I'll find them one day but for now I'm just going to shuffle the deak, place the pawns and roll the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played back in junior high & high school, in the latter half of the 80's.
I played AD&D, Jorune, and Paranoia. Read some books for Vampire/Werewolf (sounded pretty interesting), Top Secret, and Gamma World, but never played them.

AD&D was pretty much about powerups, getting your hands on as much magical crap as you could. At least with the people I knew... I'll never forget some of the idiots who just plain made up ridiculous stuff for their characters to have. Worst one had to be the guy with a flying castle carried by about a million pegasi.

Jorune was the most interesting system/world and seemed to encourage more roleplaying and creativity. Loved this one, and it never seemed to suffer from the over-documented effect that AD&D had where the players knew all about every monster/item/knickknack that existed in the game. Here, everything was new and unknown.

Paranoia was the most chaotic, lots of fun but it lacked the sense of investing in your character since he usually died several times per hour. Excellent humor for computer geeks.

I don't really even know the modern RPGs at all. Apparently a lot of them are now based on a common system known as "D20", perhaps this is the successor to the old GURPS system? I wouldn't mind playing again sometime, but would only consider it if my wife got into it, which is unlikely. I think she would see RPG gamers as wierdos with no life, which is not far from being a valid point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
The game is Dragonlance fifth Age with the Saga rules system. I know very little about Dragonlance, and never play in that setting, but the Saga rules system is brilliant.

Who-hoo! Another SAGA fan! The SAGA system remains one of my all-time favorite systems. You feel like you have good (but not total) control over the outcomes of your own actions, and when you really need to put forth the extra effort, can with your cardplay.

While I enjoy the Dragonlance version, I think the Marvel Super Hero version of the SAGA system is the single best RPG ever designed. It perfectly captures the flavor and pacing of comics, and allows for extreme results from time to time. I always recommend the Marvel SAGA game to anyone willing to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention, anyone who used to play fantasy RPGs of any kind should check out the online comic "Order of the Stick".

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.