Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm am thinking of purchasing some of the following games in their German editions, but unfortunately, none of my group speak any German at all.
If there is zero language content, this is obviously not an issue (for example we play the German version of Taj Mahal with no problems). However, any text on the components messes us up and slows down play intolerably - even something as simple as having to use the event look-up cheat-sheet for the Wallenstein event cards seemed to cause problems. shake

So, if anyone can provide any insight as to the extent and nature of language-specfic content in any of the following games I'd be as happy as the proverbial pig:

Oltremare - Merchants Of Venice (Mind The Move)
Meuterer (Adlung)
Hansa (Abacus)
Verrater (Adlung)
Acquire (Hasbro Deutschland)
Dos Rios (Kosmos)
Lowenherz (Kosmos)
Louis XIV (Alea – Ravensburger)
San Marco (Ravensburger)
Ballon Cup (Kosmos)
China (Abacus)
La Citta (Kosmos)
Im Schatten Des Kaisers (Hans Im Gluck)

Many thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Balloon Cup and Hansa are both language-independent. I'm not sure about the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Citta has explanatory text on cards, so probably a no for your group, sorry!!

My Hasbro version of Acquire has no text except for the names on the companies on the stock cards, so that would probably be true for other versions as well. Couldn't swear to it, tho. But I can't imagine what text could be added to the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hansa + China + San Marco come with full English rules. For all three, the components have no German on them.

Meuterer has german words on cards, but its always a single word representing the role (eg Captain), a place or a resource (eg salt). You'll need English rules from BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltremare and Meuterer will be fine. My only problem with the latter is an aesthetic one - it's just a deck of cards, and the English rules I've printed out don't fit inside the packet, so have to be wrapped around the outside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
My Hasbro version of Acquire has no text except for the names on the companies on the stock cards, so that would probably be true for other versions as well.

There is a reference card that shows how much each stock is worth, based on how big the corporation is. I doubt that having this in German would be a problem, but it would be very easy to make your own copy in English (you can probably already download something from the Geek).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems with these except La Citta and Louis XIV.

Regarding Wallenstein: Print the .pdf with the translated cards you will find under the game entry here. Glue to light cardstock, cut and place the cards in sleeves. Use these homemade cards for the game. Works much better than using a cheat sheet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodspade wrote:
Denise wrote:
My Hasbro version of Acquire has no text except for the names on the companies on the stock cards, so that would probably be true for other versions as well.

There is a reference card that shows how much each stock is worth, based on how big the corporation is. I doubt that having this in German would be a problem, but it would be very easy to make your own copy in English (you can probably already download something from the Geek).

Oops, yes, thanks for pointing this out, I forgot all about the reference card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dos Rios (Kosmos) - totally language independent
Lowenherz (Kosmos) - totally language independent - a great game
La Citta (Kosmos) - if you have problems with Wallenstein, get the English version of this (possibly easier said than done).
Im Schatten Des Kaisers (Hans Im Gluck)- again, if you have problems with Wallenstein, get the English version of this. It's another great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian T
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
rodspade wrote:
Denise wrote:

Oops, yes, thanks for pointing this out, I forgot all about the reference card

I actually have the German release of the Hasbro Acquire, and the only German text encountered is on the ref. card - however it is so small, and the card so useless, that it isn't an issue... All significant components are language-free.

If you are comfortable ordering from Germany, I would get the game from there. It is considerably cheaper than in the UK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Another good solution I'd suggest is that if you have access to a scanner, a printer and a simple paint program...any language dependant components in a game can be changed very easily and pasted on over the foreign writing. The sticker backed printer paper works well for this.

This even allows you to even improve any components that you feel are too drab or not intuitive enough.

This solution is a little more time consuming of course but the finished product is nice...all depending on your ability to use a paint progrma well.

There are some nice paste-ups on BGG for many games with a lot of language dependant components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant!

Thanks to everyone who replied here for all the great help and advice. You guys are the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gaming group has put together a list of language independant games. It can be found at
http://users.pandora.be/arsludendi/collectie/taalonafhankeli...

We are a Belgian group and we used the Dutch names for games. But the geek will surely help you with any translations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.