Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group (ok, _I_) keep detailed statistics on every game we play, for the purposes of awarding plaques at the end of the year. We've recently come across a slew of games, which, although quite fun, seemingly don't LEND themselves very handily to 'scoring' (the exact titles of which escape me, currently)!

When similarly faced (or, maybe, IF similarly faced) with a situation like this, what does the vast majority of BGGers do?

Please don't suggest "just don't keep score" - because, for the person who WINS that game, it would be distressing to NOT have it count in standings - but, in terms of games like Reiner's Lord of the Rings - or even team-play War of the Ring, what are some of the factors you would look at; and what scale would you base a scoring system on?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
WotR: Score it like a 1 vs 1 game, give each player of the winning team an equal score.

LotR: pretend that the players are playing against a team of the same size.
Score the game accordingly.

Do not try to score different players of a team differently: it will affect gameplay so much that they might throw a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game this can be extremely hard to do -- as I'm sure you've realized. When our group was keeping detailed stats, and generating player rankings/leader-boards, we tried various methods of "scoring" positions in games that didn't feature formalized scoring systems. Many of these methods led to arguments... while others found players shifting their focus away from winning, and concentrating on whatever was needed to cement them into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, place.

What seemed to work best (for awhile) was as follows: The winner is, obviously, the winner. Everyone else ties for last place. This is the easiest to implement, and the least prone to manipulation and generating arguments. It also promotes a strong incentive to win out-right. The downside is that it's not very detailed.

Elimination style (war)games were, by far, the hardest to try and score... while you can have someone eliminated relatively early, they may have impacted the board/game much more than someone who was eliminated later... but didn't really do anything.

In the end, however, we simply stopped keeping track of games that didn't feature "official" scoring methods. Even later, we abandoned rankings all together.

-V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.