Subject: German invasion of Russia in '39 scenario & Axis in Med. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kowalczyk
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
1. I have a pretty good idea of what to do with the Axis in the early going of the game but when it comes to invading Russia I'm just not sure. If I invade prior to Jan/Feb '42, I get hit with Axis freeze. If I don't invade until after Jan/Feb '42 Russia has had too long to build up its forces and it makes it that much harder. Any thoughts?

2. The last game I played as the Axis I controlled all of North Africa, Spain and Gibraltar but in the end the Western Allies ignored the Mediteranean and came in through Denmark and France and I didn't have enough units for Barbarrossa so Russia hurt me bad in the east. Is the Mediteranean really that important to the overall game? Any suggestions as to how much attention should be focused on this area by the Axis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Heidman
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
Re:German invasion of Russia in '39 scenario
wardog42 (#467766),

1. Invade at the earliest possible chance. The force equation starts out in your favor and gets worse, you need to make as much hay while the sun is shining as possible. Hopefully you punish the Red Army badly enough that he cannot effectively take advantage of the freeze. You can also try to get some units out of the USSR proper the turn before, or get all the "freeze" victims (or most of them) in one plce so you can spend a single SA to replenish them back up to full.

2. The answer is as little as you can get away with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:German invasion of Russia in '39 scenario
Berkut (#467948),

The med is a waste of time for the axis. There are few ressources to be gained there. The only reasons to be there are:

1. To give something to do to the Italian units.
2.To keep the Italians in the war. But if they drop out, it is not the end of the world anyways.
3. To tempt the allies into investing heavily into retaking the med. If the axis is too strong in the med then the allies might not go there. So better to be weaker to tempt the allies into going there. If there are a lot of allied units in the med then it means less allies in France. Each few allied unit in Italy means a ship in the med and another one in the atlantic to give supply (and even worse if supply is going through a beachhead.)Also if allies are trying to take Italy out of the war, it will cost the allies a lot of special actions for invasions.
4. To gain the backdoor to Russia for a 1942 Barbarossa with an axis force hitting Baku from Persia.

Otherwise there is no point to being in the Med.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.