Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Wings of War: Famous Aces» Forums » General

Subject: Storage solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of the things that has caused some problems with WoW has been effective ways of storing the cards so a game can be set up quickly, rather than rummaging through a pile of cards.

The obvious answer is to use zip-lok bags, although I've had some problems getting hold of them (saying that, I've got some coming in the post eventually, but in the meantime...).

Another solution is to use the smaller card protector sleeves, each will comfortably hold either a damage deck or a manoeuvre deck along with the planes that use that deck. I've just finished sorting five sets and they all fit quite happily into one box, layed down along two oposite sides - there's not enough movement to allow the cards to come out of the sleeves (why zip-lok is better), and the counters fit into the space left in the middle. You can also fit the rules and a few console boards on the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Re:Storage solution
flyinghogfish (#468335),

See my earlier post on this area here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/465961

Quote:
One of the things that has caused some problems with WoW has been effective ways of storing the cards so a game can be set up quickly, rather than rummaging through a pile of cards.

I have two copies of WoW:FA and one copy of WoW:WyB! (soon to be two) stored in a single WoW:FA box. Setup time for a game is no more than 3 minutes. Cleanup time for a game is a little longer *IF* (and only if) multiple damage decks were used in the game.

Quote:
The obvious answer is to use zip-lok bags, although I've had some problems getting hold of them (saying that, I've got some coming in the post eventually, but in the meantime...).

I use snack bags from the local supermarket. They are readily available, very cheap zip-lock bags that are only an inch or so deep. I use them for for cards, bits etc for all my games.

Each maneuver deck and its matching planes are in a bag. Each damage deck (each A deck and the B deck) is in a bag. All the tiles are in a bag. The various extra cards (blanks, targets etc) are in a bag. All the bags are simply tossed into the box, where they fit rather nicely.

Setup consists of dumping out all the bags of cards, pulling out the three damage decks and the skinny bag of oddments, and quickly flipping what's left to face up (so the plane on top of the maneuver deck is visible). We then draft and the game starts.

Cleanup at an individual level consists of finding the bag that your plane came from, and putting your plane and its maneuver deck back in the bag along with the planes you didn't use. The bags are then tossed back into the box, the box put away, and we're done.

The damage deck cleanup is a little messier if more than one 'A' deck was used as I want to keep the two A decks distinct (I don't like the probabilities of pulling all the 5's in a row for instance). However, even this cleanup isn't hard. As each plane dies, separate its damage into 'A' and 'B' piles. If only one 'A' deck was used, cleanup is trivial: dump all the A cards in one bag, dump all the B cards in another. At the end of the game in which more than one A deck was used: collect all the 'A' cards and quickly sort them into piles by damage value (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Then run through each pile, take half, and that's one of your A decks. Collect the rest and that's the other A deck.

There's no reason for setup or cleanup to take more than a few minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never seen a flying hogfish. I saw one gliding once, but never flying, not actually flying.
United Kingdom
Tyne & Wear
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re:Storage solution
clearclaw (#468579),

I agree with you on this one. I tried out the 'until the zip-lok bags appear' method of using card protectors tonight and the game went up and came down again as fast as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.