Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a two-pack of Bicycle cards at Target the other night. Over the past couple of years, I have purchased many of these packages to use for poker and developing prototypes.

Anyway, the box said these were genuine, high-quality Bicycle cards with the "rider" backs. They were not. They were crummy, low-gloss cards with brown backs that read "The Classic Collection" (or something similar) and made of very cheap material. They stuck to each other like glue. They were of such poor quality, I would not even consider using them for a prototype.

I'm not sure if this is now a problem with all two-pack Bicycle decks, or just a problem with decks sold at Target. FWIW, I purchased a single deck at the same time, and it was fine. I really hope this is an abberation, but I'll bet the company figured they could make more money this way. Well, not from me.

I've written the company. If they respond, I'll post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a suprise. I've always sworn by the products of the US Playing Card Co.
I look forward to their reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Mike
Canada
Unspecified
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never gotten cards like that! I have gotten off-center cards, cards with slight printing abberations etc that are unusable for certain purposes but never anything of that magnitude. It sounds like some cards were mispackaged to me.

Let us know how they respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe it's those high-falutin' Kansas Cit-ayy Tar-zhay stores that are rippin' you off on the cards. I bought a couple of two-deck poker packs here in Lawrence and they are the same quality cushioned-finish cards I've always received. According to US Playing cards :

Quote:
Our Guarantee

The United States Playing Card Company guarantees the quality of all of its playing card brands. If a manufacturing defect is found in a deck of our Bicycle®, Bee®, Aviator®, Hoyle®, Maverick®, Tally-Ho®, Squeezers®, or Congress® playing cards that makes it unusable for normal game play, and it is returned before it has been extensively used, we will be glad to replace it. Please include a brief note indicating which kind of deck the defective card(s) came from. Return the Ace of Spades, if present, and the defective card(s) to:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squeezers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Rings
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squeezers are one of the old classic playing card backs that have a following on the East Coast or in the Southwest. People still buy them, so they keep making them.

This is a list of current backs used in the US. i don't think it is comprehensive, but educational nontheless.
http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything against Bycicle cards, but I'd recommend plastic cards for the hardcore card-gamer out there. I have a set of Kem cards and they're great. Only complaint I've heard is that they can be a little slippery on a smooth surface... but we all know that REAL card-gamers use felt .

Don't mean to hijack your thread... I've bought plenty of Bycicle cards and never had a problem. Strange. Hope it's not a downward trend in quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the KEM cards are very nice. A bit pricey for building prototypes, though.

Still no response from US Playing Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Rings
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a discussion with a co-worker we've decided that the problem with your decks stemmed from one of two things:

1) Target bought some "seconds" from someone in Hong Kong

or

2) USPC messed up and packaged everything incorrectly. The cards you got might have been destined for crappy "games" collection like those that sell around Christmas.

Bikes have been going downhill in the last 10 years, but nothing has ever been that bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.