Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Hall of Fame

The Internet
msg tools
mb
For those of you who missed it, the BGG Hall of Fame is up:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/63409/bgg-hall-of-fame

A couple people requested that I start a thread to discuss the Hall of Fame after the fact, and most of the other threads are getting a little long.

Also, I kind of want to leave the Hall of Fame GeekList itself without comments, other than the writeups that are already there.

If you're wondering, I have asked to make the Hall of Fame official, but have not gotten a response yet - I know the admins are busy, so I don't expect to hear from them soon. Also, I'm probably going to start up 2011 voting in the late summer or early fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should probably pop a link to the final voting thread in here too:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/596629/unofficial-bgg-ha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - I did have one question.

Between some generous donations and excess GG of my own, I can get an avatar for the HoF account. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Rishi.

I think an easy requirement is that in order to nominate a game you have to include a similar writeup as to why this belongs.

Hopefully it will go smoother next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Nice job Rishi.

I think an easy requirement is that in order to nominate a game you have to include a similar writeup as to why this belongs.

Hopefully it will go smoother next time.

I do think that's a great idea, and it's something I will think about in the fall. The only issue is that it was difficult to get people to write about some of the games. For some games, the first person I asked accepted and got the writeup to me quickly. For others, it took a little more effort to find a writer. And, writing one of the blurbs myself, it was more work than I anticipated.

The big change I'm going to make for next year to make things go smoothly is that the nominations will be handled in a forum thread. That way, when the GeekList goes up, all nominated games will appear simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
First: Thanks for doing this, I believe it was a worthwhile exercise.

Second: Let's hope the admins agree in making it "official".

For the Admins: I still fail to see the point of the whole exercise, and hope that they will do no such thing.

For the participants: just because I think it's pointless doesn't mean that I begrudge you your enjoyment of it, so by all means carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see the point of GeekQuestions, but I have no problem with it being "official". If some people get some enjoyment from it, what's the harm?

timstellmach wrote:
jvdv wrote:

For the Admins: I still fail to see the point of the whole exercise, and hope that they will do no such thing.

For the participants: just because I think it's pointless doesn't mean that I begrudge you your enjoyment of it, so by all means carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Rishi wrote:
Oh - I did have one question.

Between some generous donations and excess GG of my own, I can get an avatar for the HoF account. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:

Third: I believe it's an excellent start, with quite some variation, and all are classics / genremaking or -defining games.

thumbsup

I believe it is a /good/ start, rather than an excellent one. Which is all it needed, really.

Still, considering how the voting stage looked like it was going, its a better start than I expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't remember the threads… so I'm just asking.

Will new games be added to the HoF in time, or will it only always contain –10 games per year? Meaning, will it be re-voted, and games may be thrown out of the HoF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Settlers not get 100% of the vote?

You could easily argue that without that game, this site would not exist, or if it did exist, there would only be a couple of hundred people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Don't remember the threads… so I'm just asking.

Will new games be added to the HoF in time, or will it only always contain –10 games per year? Meaning, will it be re-voted, and games may be thrown out of the HoF?

No, I can't think of any HoF that experiences attrition. Once a game is voted in, it's permanently in. So the games in there will not be on the ballot next year.

moss_icon wrote:
How did Settlers not get 100% of the vote?

Well, it still got a very impressive percentage of the vote. My guess (and I don't know for sure - I personally voted Yes to it) is that some people felt it was too new? There was a small percentage of people involved in the vote that thought the waiting period should have been 20 years rather than 10. Also, there's a lot of people who dislike Settlers. Not everyone was able to put aside their personal aversions when voting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.