Subject: Resource extraction by dieroll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Holmstrand
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What would happen if the user rolls a 1-3 after a 9? Does he have to pay back resources? :O

Either way this somewhat balance out so the user gets 1 resource per roll (sometime with a delay), giving a slight advantage to rolling 9, 7 and 8. Given that you don't have to pay back resources, when rolling low after high.

And I think you are thinking that Low roll = bad and High = good, this isn't always the case, espacially if you do some balancing like this. The users would maybe think that 7, 8, 9 are bad rolls depending on how the resources are used in your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just allow the player to "save" a roll from one turn to offset the next turns roll. If "high" is good, they can save a 1-4 (from 1-10) from the first roll, to add to the second roll the next turn.

It doesn't give you the same curve you are looking for, but allows players to at least feel like they can't get multiple bad rolls in a row. A simple variant on push-your-luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Maybe to make it more rewarding to "combine" the rolls of 2 turns than counting them individually. So instead of the token variant, make 7 and higher rolls grow in value even more. That's something to consider. Get a few now, or get lots later.

Sounds good. but I'd take it even furthur, take the table upto 40 even, allows long mining operations, that produce progressivly better results, but comit a player to mining on the next turn ,if they didn't finish it that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling dice and hoping for good results is exciting. Consulting a chart is not. Players are picky now days. They will revolt against a chart.

Good and bad roll are part of what you get from using dice. If you have a problem in your design with bad dice rolls, eliminate the dice all together. Just have the players get 1, 2 or 3 resources. Or modify a dice to be 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3. roll one dice and collect the result. I would not have a 0 on the dice. 0 is a negative result. Again, players are picky. They don’t like negative results.

There is a good aspect to the dice rolls with Stone Age. You are rolling multiple dice so you know the mean probability. If you are rolling 2 dice you are most likely to get a 7, 3 dice is 10, etc. Then to improve this mechanic the tools help to alleviate bad rolls. Stone Age is a good reference point. One thing Stone Age doesn’t do is use a chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Greetings,

I have a (somewhat) game under development where I have resource extraction using dieroll. Now, currently it's rather boring and too much like Stone Age so I'm looking at a way to make it more interesting. I was thinking about a mechanism that ensures a better result after a bad roll and a worse one after a very good one. The following "chart" will demontrate, where line 1 is the dieroll, line 2 is the amount of resources you get, line 3 will add or remove a token of the player's to/from the line with each token worth +1 to the roll.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
0 0 0 1 1 1 2 2 3
+ + + 0 0 0 - - -2

So, if you first roll 1, you get nothing but a token in this "mine". If you roll 6 after this, the combined result is 7 where, you get 2 resources, and you remove a token. Does this make any sense?

I'm also thinking about being able to "craft" limited use items which modify the results. E.g. add +1/+2 to the result 5 times; also other ways of adding tokens.

Any ideas/feedback appreciated.

inb4 game title that uses the exact same thing

Focus on the experience of gathering and how you want that to vary. The mechanic will then support the experience.

I'm going to pretend this is a gold mine, and that I roll the six faces of a die once each across 6 turns.

First 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tokens
in
Hand Roll Effective Roll Final Effect (gold/+-tokens)
--------+-------+----------------+-----
0 1 1 0/+1
1 2 3 0/+1
2 3 5 1/+0
2 4 6 1/+0
2 5 7 2/-1
1 6 7 2/-1
0 ...

6 total resources and no tokens

Now 6 5 4 3 2 1

Tokens
in
Hand Roll Effective Roll Final Effect (gold/+-tokens)
--------+-------+----------------+-----
0 6 6 1/+0
0 5 5 1/+0
0 4 4 1/+0
0 3 3 0/+1
1 2 3 0/+1
2 1 3 0/+1
3 ...

3 total resources and 3 tokens that don't do anything valuable without another roll.

Now some random sequences, courtesy of random.org:
6 5 5 4 3 5 (5 resources/1 token)
4 1 5 5 6 6 (6 resources/0 token)
1 4 5 3 2 6 (5 resources/1 token)
5 4 5 2 5 5 (5 resources/1 token)
1 5 6 1 3 3 (3 resources/3 token)

A small random samping, but it starts to show the point. Your tokens are just delayed payments with a minor variance, where you average 1 resource per roll, but are affected by order and time, meaning you might get unvaluable 'tokens' over the useful resource.

If that's the experience you're going for, then maybe dice isn't the answer. Instead you want a small deck of cards which will average 1 resource per draw, but that may give 2 resources some times and none for others. Overall, each mine/forest/etc will give a set amount of resources which vary in distribution rate.

-=-=-

Or maybe a fairly predictable resource rate isn't what you're after, and you want a different experience for the player.

What experience do you want to evoke? From that the mechanic can be determined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.