Geoffrey Steenberge
United States
Painted Post
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memory Match & Move

Memory Match and Move is a memory game published by Milton Bradley. I’m not going to go into a lengthy discussion of the rules. Instead, I am going to discuss my opinions regarding the game and hopefully help people determine whether or not this game is for them.

Brief Rule Summary: The game board consists of a track around the outside divided into 24 spaces with a different object in each. The object in the 4 corner spaces is a colored dot and shows the starting spaces for the 4 different players. 25 cardboard tiles are placed in the center on the board face down. Each tile has a picture matching one of the objects around the outside of the board and there is one wild tile. On a player’s turn, they turn up a tile. If it matches the next space on the board then they move their figure forward to that space and get to go again. If they turn up a tile which does not match the next space then any face up tiles are turned face down and the next player takes their turn. The first player to make it around the board and back to their starting space is the winner.

Players: 2-4. Works equally well with any number. 3 is not as balanced because 3 players can’t be equally spaced around the board to start but it really doesn’t matter for this game.

Game Length: Approximately 30 minutes.

Gamer type: Light. This is a really light memory game which will appeal to children but which adults will find boring.

Components: Very Good. The board is very nice and all the pictures are colorful and represent objects which children should know or be learning the names of. The spaces to move the figures are plenty big as is the middle area where the tiles go. All the tiles are nice thick cardboard and the plastic playing pieces are big and hard to lose or break.

Theme: There is no theme. It’s just a memory game.

Learning curve: Low. The game is very easy to learn. However, the tiles have 5 different colored backs so players will eventually learn that certain objects have certain colored backs so experienced players will have an advantage but only for a game or two.

Replayability: Low. The game never changes so will become boring after repeated plays. However, it plays rather quickly so does not require a large time commitment.

Rating at time of review: 4 (Check my profile for my current rating.)

Random thoughts on the game:

This game is based on the classic Milton Bradley game Memory but I feel it adds more to it which makes it much better. Moving the pieces around the board is more fun than just collecting tiles. The players start in different areas so are looking for different items. However, since you will eventually have to move over the spaces where your opponent is moving, you want to remember all the pieces your opponent flips over for use in the future and the pieces you are flipping over for now.

Memory is normally a short term memory game but this game adds a little long term memory element. The tiles have 5 different colored backs so if you can remember that a certain tile has a certain colored back then this will help you in the next game.

Conclusion: Memory is a great game for young children which helps them develop a very useful skill and since this game is more fun and adds a long term memory element, I think this is the memory game you should buy if you are looking for one.

You will like this game if… you are looking for a simple game for a child which will be fun to play and develop a very useful life skill.

You will not like this game if… you are an adult. You like strategic options in your games. You like to be able to directly influence your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brings back a lot of...errr...memories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.