Subject: All-Out Galactic War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To begin with, this was a 3-player game against Keldon's (wonderful) AI, with all expansions, takeovers, and goals. The AI's eternal focus on Prestige notwithstanding, the result was quite explosive.

I started as New Sparta against Uplift Mercenary Force(Red) and Galactic Developers(Green). Goals in play were Innovation Leader, Galactic Status, Galactic Standing, Military Influence, Research Leader, and Greatest Military.

I was hoping to take advantage of Imperium Capital with rebels in my hand. I called Settle for my Star Nomad Lair, then traded the good, while Red and Green got busy Searching for chromosome worlds, as usual. (Do they do that hoping to find Ravaged Uplift World? The call makes some sense for UMF, but they do this almost every game, whichever world they have.)

I settled Black Hole Miners to keep pace with cards and prestige from Red's Ravaged Uplift World, while Green Developed Pan-Galactic Hologrid, claiming Innovation Leader and Galactic Status straight off. He naturally began exploring every turn.

Red and I were beginning to conquer military worlds and keeping pace with prestige, claiming Galactic Standing at the same time. We both developed Imperium Invasion Fleet on the same turn. The next turn, I kicked into high gear by discarding it to conquer Imperium Capital. It meant a setback in the arms race for Greatest Military, but it allowed me to take a huge prestige lead. I had a number of developments and worlds that gave a small military bonus, so I thought I might be able to take it back.

My engine kicked into gear as I started throwing down rebel worlds. Flush with cards, and holding both Rebel Alliance and Galactic Imperium, I put down Rebel Alliance, hoping to catch Red's Imperium tableau off guard. I did not. That same turn, he played Imperium Planet Buster and discarded his Invasion Fleet to blow up my Imperium Capital, taking the prestige lead for the rest of the game in the process. It was on.

The Rebels and the the Imperium took one look at this thing, and decided they could set aside their differences to face this new threat. He had obtained a large military lead. Calling in some favors, I threw Prestige Develop, and played Galactic Imperium, desperate to protect my holdings.

He started blowing up my non-rebel military worlds, while I started stealing his rebel worlds. It was sheer chaos. Fortunately, he was falling behind in the race. My tableau size remained constant, while his was shrinking steadily. I had the rebel force needed to start taking his other military worlds as well, despite his growing army. Which was just as well, because I had practically no hand, and very few options.

Through all of this, Green of course had superior card selection and was taking advantage of all of our settling, especially with Terraforming Engineers. He was free to take the rest of the goals and end the game at his leisure, but of course he kept doggedly trying to take the prestige lead (by far a lost cause). He had a nice Consume engine available at the end of the game, but he wasn't keen on using it for some reason, possibly because our Produce leeching was very strong. His tableau eventually ended the game with me barely in the lead.

Final Tableaus:

Red: 52 VP (9 points, 14 prestige) Uplift Mercenary Force, Devolved Uplift Race, Ravaged Uplift World, Secluded World, Imperium Planet Buster, Drop Ships, Alien Guardian (with Greatest Military and Galactic Standing)

Green: 57 VP (8 points, 6 prestige) Mining Mole Uplift Race, Pan-Galactic Hologrid, Refugee World, Interstellar Bank, Gambling World, Gem Smugglers, Galactic Trendsetters, Mining World, Universal Exports, Terraforming Engineers, Asteroid Belt, Terraformed World (With Innovation Leader, Galactic Status, and Research Leader)

Blue: 61 VP (6 points, 7 prestige) New Sparta, Black Hole Miners, Space Mercenaries, Rebel Underground, Rebel Alliance, Rebel Miners, Galactic Imperium, Rebel Outpost, Rebel Fuel Refinery, Rebel Convict Mines, Alien Robot Scout Ship (With Military Influence and Galactic Standing)

I've never seen a game with so many takeovers. It was a blast, and I think it told a very interesting story. I think a competent human Green would have smoked Red and I, but maybe he didn't have much to work with.

Edit: Fixed some typos, added pictures! Big props to the visual spoiler, Serge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
Red and Green got busy Searching for chromosome worlds, as usual. (Do they do that hoping to find Ravaged Uplift World? The call makes some sense for UMF, but they do this almost every game, whichever world they have.)

Yeah i think it's for RUW. In the unlikely event an AI someday refuses RUW i guess we'll find out we're wrong.

Flamethrower49 wrote:
hoping to catch Red's Imperium tableau off guard. I did not. That same turn, he played Imperium Planet Buster and discarded his Invasion Fleet to blow up my Imperium Capital

ohohoh my jaw dropped here!

Flamethrower49 wrote:
I've never seen a game with so many takeovers.

Any idea how many there were? You might have broken the record for Most successful takeovers, all players: 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. It appears the total was six. He killed my Imperium Capital, Information Hub, and Star Nomad Lair, while I took his Rebel Fuel Refinery, Rebel Convict Mines, and Alien Robot Scout Ship. I should have been able to take his Devolved Uplift Race, too, but I miscalculated on the second to last turn, because it turns out the Alien Robot Scout Ship is not a Rebel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good session report! Would be better with pictures of the key cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Good session report! Would be better with pictures of the key cards!

Done! Thank you for the praise and suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.