BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why is it that our spouse don't wanna play games with you rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
I was just wondering why it is that our spouse/partner don't wanna play game with us.

My GF rather wanna watch paint dry or the washing machine spin around.
I don't understand this, what is it that cause them to absoluty dislike any games.
I bought some good 2p games Lost Cities and Mr. Jack,
but all i get is "i rather play strip poker with you.."
Which ofcause i can't complain about
But i would also like to play some real boardgames.

I can understand they (a no-gamer) don't wanna play highly diffecult games.
But it seems that as soon as they (a no-gamer) hear the word game, they have a ton of other things they need to do. why is this?

Am i going at this in the wrong way?, should i forget about playing games with my GF.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why is it that girlfriends/wife don't wanna play games with you
While there is a possibility to "convert" people to games, there is always the chance that they just don't like games.

Everyone has that. I absolutely can't stand most sports and I most likely always will. We're all different in our likes and dislikes.

Don't push too hard. If she doesn't have any interest, then there's not much you can do.

Except play strip poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is probably the same to as of why I still don't find accompanying my GF shopping fun even if I love her so much.

My GF plays games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Deathstroke wrote:

Everyone has that. I absolutely can't stand most sports and I most likely always will.

But don't you play some sort of "sport" with your kids, for the sake of having some fun with your kids, even though you don't like sports. (if you have kids.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Sevej wrote:
The answer is probably the same to as of why I still don't find accompanying my GF shopping fun even if I love her so much.

Im only asking for 30-60 min of play time with my GF.
I would go shopping with her anyday, if she ask me to join her.
If she ask me (which she does) to me it means that she wanna spend some time with me. And i sometimes feel that it would be disrespectfull of me to say no, now that she wanna spend some time with me.

What games do you play with her.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
I know! Let's make insanely sexist and gender presumptive posts and comments! Girls find games stupid! Girls don't like to do hard, thinking stuff! Girls don't like game combat! Math is haaaaaaaaaard! shake

*sigh*

Look around you, yeah, maybe some women don;t like some games, maybe some women don't like some types of games, and maybe some women really just don't like playing with you. In my household, I am the one who buys, cultivates and reserches our collection, and makes game prototypes to play. Hell, it's my husband who does the laundry so he spends a lot more time in the laundry room than I do. We both like playing because we both like doing things together that doesn't involve sitting around staring at the TV. Maybe what you need to do is figure out why a specific person is not interested in playing games you are suggesting with you. And, I assure you, there are plenty of men who couldn't care less about games that don't involve pointing a gun and shooting or pretending to toss a ball back and forth.

So...yeah....let's be a bit more...thoughtful...in our criticism of women. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

Don't push too hard. If she doesn't have any interest, then there's not much you can do.

I'm pretty much with Deathstroke (clearly a romantic) here, but I have one suggestion that helped me. Take an interest in her stuff, show how willing you are to join in with her, show that it's possible to get a handle on someone's enthusiasm. Once you have done it, it's much more reasonable to expect her to, though she still might not.

Just to show it can work - this is mostly the result of joining in with some serious chicken keeping, which I now genuinely enjoy.

It's just the way we are made, there's not much that's rational about this stuff :O)

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
sweetgotham wrote:
I know! Let's make insanely sexist and gender presumptive posts and comments! Girls find games stupid! Girls don't like to do hard, thinking stuff! Girls don't like game combat! Math is haaaaaaaaaard! shake

*sigh*

Look around you, yeah, maybe some women don;t like some games, maybe some women don't like some types of games, and maybe some women really just don't like playing with you. In my household, I am the one who buys, cultivates and reserches our collection, and makes game prototypes to play. Hell, it's my husband who does the laundry so he spends a lot more time in the laundry room than I do. We both like playing because we both like doing things together that doesn't involve sitting around staring at the TV. Maybe what you need to do is figure out why a specific person is not interested in playing games you are suggesting with you. And, I assure you, there are plenty of men who couldn't care less about games that don't involve pointing a gun and shooting or pretending to toss a ball back and forth.

So...yeah....let's be a bit more...thoughtful...in our criticism of women. ninja

I did not critisise women, not at all.
I was just wondering what people did to make their spouse play games.
Yes i did say GF/wife, i should maybe have said spouse instead, sorry.
I did not mean to step on anyone toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have this problem, in fact the majority of my gaming buddies have gaming wives/GFs that come along...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
I agree with the girlfriend. Sleep with her instead of playing mr jack. Gaming is just something to fill the time between "sleeping."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
"make their spouse"

And this is your problem right here. Relationships are mutual,and while there is nothing that says you have to share hobbies it is nice when you do. But if she (or ANYone) doesn't like the things you do, big deal. There is no marriage contract that says they have to. I don't like WoW or computer program, but that doesn't prevent my husband from enjoying those things; we just share other things to enjoy together. Go out, find a gaming group and play with them and stop trying to force something on another person. Alternatively, it really could be your game selection and you can always see about having her come along to a gaming group to try different ones out. And if she doesn't, again, big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:
Sevej wrote:

Im only asking for 30-60 min of play time with my GF.
I would go shopping with her anyday, if she ask me to join her.
If she ask me (which she does) to me it means that she wanna spend some time with me. And i sometimes feel that it would be disrespectfull of me to say no, now that she wanna spend some time with me.

What games do you play with her.?

I've played quite a bit of boardgames with her, but she's especially fond of Mr. Jack Pocket, Carcassonne, Pandemic, and *gasp* Uno. Have you tried the heavier fares? Not all GFs are inclined to light boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be pointed out that this is not restricted to/ governed by them being a wife or girlfriend. That bit of info is pretty much irrelevant as to why they don't like games.

I'm in the happy situation where my wife is quite willing to play games (Dominion & Stone Age being her current favourites).
However, my dad is not a game-player (something to do with a childhood of bad boardgames being played incessantly) & wonders where I got my love of it from. That said, he enjoys playing Cribbage & we've spent many an evening playing some very tough & tight games. That'll do for me. I'll enjoy the time we spent together & feel no need to force him into playing a game he doesn't enjoy.

So- advice for you (take or leave as you will).
Don't force games upon her. If she shows interest in something for whatever reason then by all means encourage but otherwise just enjoy spending time with her doing whatever.
If you want gaming, find some like-minded people & play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Welch
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they refuse to, then just find one that will. Having a gf/spouse that plays games with you is much better than one that does not. sauron devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it that most men don't want to go shoe shopping? It's not that hard to understand that people like different things and that even though you and I love games that doesn't mean everyone should is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Hey now! This is... ah... did you response to a different thread? Because I couldn't really find any sexist stuff going on up there... or is it the shopping bit? You know, that's not even so sexist? If I look at my circle of friends I can indeed find the one or other woman who does enjoy her little bit of shopping once in a while. How is this sexist. I'd never complain about woman complainig about men that don't wanna talk to them (because that seems to happen a lot).
Or are you one of those (I don't necesserily mean this offensive) that think, men and women are alike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

Hey now! This is... ah... did you response to a different thread? Because I couldn't really find any sexist stuff going on up there... or is it the shopping bit? You know, that's not even so sexist? If I look at my circle of friends I can indeed find the one or other woman who does enjoy her little bit of shopping once in a while. How is this sexist. I'd never complain about woman complainig about men that don't wanna talk to them (because that seems to happen a lot).
Or are you one of those (I don't necesserily mean this offensive) that think, men and women are alike?

I think it was this bit:
Quote:
I can understand they don't wanna play highly diffecult games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But somehow that's the assumption that one's tempted to make if someone doesn't want to play at all... isn't it?

I might also have overread this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was that given the 'wife/GF' opening.If it had been 'partner', then yes.
It is something you see a lot on here however- 'girls don't like games' 'girls can't play hard games' etc, etc. So I can understand someone getting a little tired of it after a little while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, ok. I'm still a little bit concerned about the INSANITY that's supposed to be in all this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
denmyos wrote:

I bought some good 2p games Lost Cities and Mr. Jack,
but all i get is "i rather play strip poker with you.."

You mean Lost Cities(of Love), and uhh... Mr. Jack (the stripper)

I mean it's worth a try right? Or you could just up the ante, and play for "favours".

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

*sigh*

Finally, a voice of reason out of the wilderness. I applaude you.

Why is it that some people just cannot figure out the simple fact that some people do not like boardgames? Just like the fact that some people do not like Professional Sports, Sushi, Sitcoms, etc.. It's a matter of individual choice and preference that cannot be bullied out of them.

If you want a life partner or friend to play games with, be more selective and pick someone who likes games in the first place.

So Den, instead of browbeating your significant other into playing games, if it's that important to you, break up with her and find someone who already likes games to be with.

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I know there are lots of sexist or other ignorant posts made on this and many other forums, but the OP was clearly posting about his SO (wife/GF?) specifically. If you read his post, and took account of the fact that English is most likely not his primary language, it was clear. Tearing off on a rant about it is not helpful.

sweetgotham wrote:

*sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
den myos
Denmark
Næstved
flag msg tools
Toc13 wrote:
[q="Junkfoot"][q="sweetgotham"]

I think it was this bit:
Quote:
I can understand they don't wanna play highly diffecult games

That was meant that no- gamers ussualy don't like to play highly difficult games. And just wanna have some 30-60 min. light game
It has nothing to do with any sex.

I think my problem is that i don't wanna say no to thinks i have not tryed.
And i hope my partner thinks the same way, but that isnt always the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that this was a topic about Women not liking games, I thought it was more about significant others not sharing common interests. My wife has no interest in playing games with me, which I find most distressing. From time to time she has agreed to play but typically with the stipulation that the TV is on. I usually decline that offer at this point because I can't compete with her attention in this manner. But comparing the sexes, I have male friends that won't play any games and female friends that will so I don't equate it to their gender. Its just people and some people just don't like to play games as much as me. Thank goodness my kids will play with me or else I might have real problems :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.