• [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:between this and alhambra
The answer may depend on who you are playing with and how many players. I have played both games at least 20-30 times, although St. Petersburg only against computer opponents. I personally like Alhambra better for the following reasons: First, Alhambra accomodates 2-6 players, while St. Petersburg accomodates 2-4. However, Alhambra plays much better in the 3-4 player range, St. Petersburg is good with 3-4, but personally I like it with 2 players. Second, Alhambra is more user friendly - easier to learn and to really understand what is going on. I would think it would be a better game for people new to Eurogames also. Third, less fiddly, in other words the game flows smooth - in St. Petersburg there is constantly the exchange and counting of money. Fourth, I believe Alhambra is a little less prone to the luck of the cards - but just by a little. A good card (e.g. observatory) in St. Petersburg can give you quite an advantage. There are no dominant cards or tiles in Alhambra.

After saying all that though, St. Petersburg is a good game. I think it takes a little more thought and planning and is intellectually a little tougher. Both are good, but I would have to side with Alhambra - it just seems more fun. Another plus is that almost any age can play (down to maybe age 8-9 anyway). I think St. Petersburg is a little tougher in this regard. I can't see too many children beating their parents in St. Petersburg.

In summary, they are both good games. St. Petersburg is a little more mentally taxing and challenging, Alhambra more fun. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. I'll be curious what others say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Al Johnson (#469029),
hmm thanks alot. I may wait for more replies. Also, i like how alhambra would be good for new people but i also wants it to be strategic. Would a newb be able to beat a veteren at alhambra and st. petersburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't be mistaken - Alhambra is strategic. I believe it is just easier to grasp than St. Petersburg. The learning curve in St. Petersburg is definitely longer - I would think a newbie could win in Alhambra but would probably need one game to really see how the game works. St. Petersburg may take longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#468925),
I'm not a big fan of Alhambra. It just seems random and boring to me. The luck of the draw is just as present - if the building you need plops on the color spot you have the cards for, it's a huge bonus; similarly, if you get lucky enough to have decent cards to choose from on your turn it's a bonus. I guess these things can even out, but they haven't seemed to to me. But like I said, for some reason I just don't enjoy the game.

St. P. seems simpler of a game to me, more straightforward and less fiddly rules-wise. (I agree that there's more money being exchanged, and cards to shuffle around, so it's fiddly in the physical sense.) However, it will almost definitely take a few games for a newbie to have a chance to beat a veteran.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and Oranges my friend. They have next to nothing in common and I happen to rate them both the same.

Get the both, Alhambra and St. Pete are solid/great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.