Subject: Variant Rule: Types and Weaknesses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hida Bukkorosu
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
One of the things sorely missing from the game as made is the aspect of Pokemon Types. Therefore I thought up this additional rule that incorporates this important aspect of the video game.

POKEMON TYPES: Each Pokemon has either one or two POKEMON TYPES. Each pokemon also has an ATTACK TYPE, which may be different than it's POKEMON TYPE(S). See the TYPE LIST for a listing of the TYPES.

Certain ATTACK TYPES are strong against certain POKEMON TYPES and weak against others. When battling, compare each Pokemon's ATTACK TYPE against the other's POKEMON TYPE on the TYPE MODIFIER CHART. Add those modifiers to the total as calculated in the normal way. If one or both of the Pokemon involved have two POKEMON TYPES, then you add two modifiers, one for the ATTACK TYPE as compared to each of the POKEMON TYPES. This may result in either a major advantage/disadvantage or a strength and a weakness canceling each other out.

RIVALS: The Rivals' POKEMON TYPES and ATTACK TYPES are as follows:

Lorelei/Lapras
PT: WATER/ICE
AT: ICE ("Blizzard")

Bruno/Machamp
PT: FIGHTING
AT: FIGHTING ("Submission")

Agatha/Gengar
PT: GHOST/POISON
AT: PSYCHIC ("Dream Eater")

Lance/Dragonite
PT: DRAGON/FLYING
AT: NORMAL ("Hyper Beam")

Gary/Arcanine
PT: FIRE
AT: NORMAL ("Take Down")

EXAMPLE 1 - SHELLDER vs. VULPIX:

Trainer 1 has SHELLDER with a POKEMON TYPE of WATER, an ATTACK TYPE of WATER, and an ATTACK STRENGTH of 2. Trainer 2 has VULPIX with a POKEMON TYPE of FIRE, an ATTACK TYPE of FIRE, and an ATTACK STRENGTH of 1.

Trainer 1 rolls a 2 and plays a +1 bonus card. Trainer 2 rolls a 4 and plays a +3 bonus card.

Now, we compare ATTACK TYPE WATER to POKEMON TYPE FIRE on the chart and see that it gets a +3, therefore +3 is added to Trainer 1's total. Likewise we compare ATTACK TYPE FIRE to POKEMON TYPE WATER on the chat and see that it gets a -3, so -3 is added to Trainer 2's total.

Trainer 1: 2+2+1+3=8. Trainer 2:1+4+3-3=5. Trainer 1 wins.

EXAMPLE 2 - BULBASAUR vs. GOLEM

Trainer 1 has BULBASAUR with a POKEMON TYPE of GRASS/POISON, an ATTACK TYPE of GRASS, and an ATTACK STRENGTH of 4. Trainer 2 has GOLEM with a POKEMON TYPE of GROUND/ROCK, an ATTACK TYPE of GROUND, and an ATTACK STRENGTH of 6.

Trainer 1 rolls a 3 and plays a +2 bonus card. Trainer 2 rolls a 3 and plays a +4 bonus card.

Now, we compare ATTACK TYPE GRASS to POKEMON TYPE GROUND on the chart and see that it gets a +3, therefore +3 is added to Trainer 1's total. We also compare ATTACK TYPE GRASS to POKEMON TYPE ROCK on the chart and see that it also gets a +3, therefore another +3 is added to Trainer 1's total for a total of +6. Likewise we compare ATTACK TYPE GROUND to POKEMON TYPE GRASS on the chat and see that it gets a -3, so -3 is added to Trainer 2's total. We also compare ATTACK TYPE GROUND to POKEMON TYPE POISON on the chart and see that it however gets a +3, therefore +3 is added to Trainer 2's total which added to the -3 makes a total of +0.

Trainer 1: 4+3+2+6=15. Trainer 2:6+3+4+0=13. Trainer 1 wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a link where I can download the Pokemon type list, and the attack type they use?

I downloaded your attack table but I don't know the type and the attack type Pokemon uses.

Many thanks,
Alberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro kano
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I uploaded a file with the types of pokemon, weaknesses an more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.