Subject: problems with France rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anssi vieruaho
Finland
oulu
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Last time i played 39 campaign with my friend, i had a hard time fighting in France. It was late 41 and we ended game. because no matter what i did French and brits just kept coming! There was no point of playing because soon the americans and soviets would have entered the game, and that would have been end of the Reich.I did not bought much ships subs or anything like that, only troops tanks and sa`s.I also waited until phony war ended so i did not attacked through maginot, was that my mistake? So tell me what is the best way to win France quickly?

Now i am afraid of French in a boardgame, that´s nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:problems with France
doctor evil (#469043),

To me the key with France is to make sure that you take Poland right away and then quickly get all your non-essential units to the other front as soon as possible.

Once in place, it will require multiple SAs as well as the correct weather (and usually a fair amount of armor/ground support) to grind your way through Belgium and on into Paris. Do not be affraid to ASSAULT to get where you need to go... speed of advance is paramount to reaching Paris.

I have tried various strategies with crossing the Maginot Line and I haven not found any that really work due to the heavy casualties.

If you invade through Belgium, the allied player might reduce the Metz to meet the assualt, this is a chance for your troops remaining in Baden/Rhineland to cross over the Maginot line on better terms.

If you can work on your Poland strategy where you can take it in one turn, then quickly get your troops back to the west, I think you will find it easier to kick the allies out of France. That is a good place to start.

Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kraft
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not bought much ships subs or anything like that, only troops tanks and sa`s.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post... don't forget that subs can choke the life out of Britian (maybe not as soon as you want, but you have to invest early and often to build for future return on your investment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Footsoldier (#469487),

Where new people go wrong in Europe Engulfed is to play it like other games. The posts above are correct. But psychologically it is difficult to apply.

1. Attack Belgium and Holland in March-April
a) Send almost ALL your infantry to Belgium
b) Send one infantry (or none) to Holland with one or two armour.
c) All attacks are assaults
d) Leave the rest of your armour facing the maginot line in the rhineland and only the bare minimum of infantry with them.
e) Leave the bare minimum of units in Baden (so what if the french move into germany, easier to kill)

2. Alternative:
Wait until may-june to attack Belgium and Holland
a) this means ALL your infantry moves from Rhineland to Belgium
b) this means ALL your armour moves from Baden to netherlands via Ruhr to avoid the river.
c) all attacks are assault
d) the advantage of this plan is that there is no risk of the french counterattacking in either Rhineland or Baden. The disadvantage is that you will have one less special action to get to Paris

3. Next ALL your units except two must go to your next target which is either Pas de Calais or Metz. Your choice. It all depends on which you judge will be the easiest.
a) leave one weak infantry in Belgium or there will be partisans there. (I learned the hard way), you may leave one weak infantry in the netherlands also but that one is not as necessary.
b) ALL units possible MUST join the attack on the area that you wish to attack. Baden and Rhineland should be empty. There should only be the minimum 5 units in Poland.(and the Belgium unit) Every thing else is in that one attack.
c) If you are attacking Pas de Calais , DO NOT send one unit to pin the troops in Metz . If you do then they will retreat to Paris.
d) ALL attacks are always assault . Exception you can make the first attack on Metz a regular attack. If you are confident in taking Paris then you can risk a first attack on Pas de Calais as an attack also (to lower your losses).
e) Take your first infantry losses on 4 point infantry not 3 point infantry. Any infantry that goes down to 2 points cannot advance in the breakthrough.
f) Just keep assaulting.
g) ROll sixes
h) Use 3 GSU for ground support and the rest for dogfight.
i) Personnally I don't built a lot of GSU for the invasion of France. I prefer armour and lots of infantry.

4. I Generally prefer going to Pas de Calais than to the Metz mostly because in Pas de Calais I get to kill british units.

5.Push on to Paris and Assault, assault , assault. You can only afford to do a regular attack if you have a lot of special actions left.

France always falls in one turn. My mistake in my early games was spreading out my german troops. I would leave some behind defending Rhineland and Baden. And have some troops invading Norway, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor evil (#469043),

The one thing I would add is: Dont be afraid of the Maginot Line. It is very brittle. The French really have to split their forces almost 50/50 between the Maginot and Pas de Calas (with a few weak units scattered around the rest of France). If the French have much less than 50% in the Maginot then hit it. His bonus is only good for the first round, do a normal attack, take you lumps, and then blow them away and stroll into Paris.

I dont worry about killing Brits in Pas de Calas because, as the allied player, I never put any Brits in France. They cannot do enough damage (IMO) to justify their losses. The British ecomomy stinks in '40-'41. They need to conserve every WERP they can.

Good luck next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
bpowers (#470100),

If the axis is not too experienced then putting a lot of british units in Pas de Calais can make it really hard on the Germans. The Brits fight one or two rounds. Each british unit takes one hit. After that, all the hits are taken on French units. Next you pull the brits out by sea before the round when the French units run out. Yes it costs you one special action and you have to have enough british ship available in the atlantic. Is it worth it? I think so, but not everyone agrees. Its a close call. Part of the problem is estimating when to pull out.

What else are you going to do with the brits? THe idea is to inflict losses on the Germans and best of all make them take two turns to finish off France !

Alternatives for the british troops:
1. just sit at home in England and wait. This is kind of boring. The germans will just ignore England. The point for England is to reduce the number of German units going into Russia in any way possible. Every unit less in Russia is great.
2. Build up in Egypt so that the brits can take North Africa quickly. Except that africa is not overly important strategically.
3. Invade Norway while the Germans are busy in France. This is not a bad alternative. It will cost the Germans the Swedish ore and will allow more lendlease to Russia in 1941. This might even force the Germans to invade Norway before taking out France in the next game you guys play. A german invasion of Norway weakens the invasion of France. It costs the Germans 1 special action (and probably another to occupy Trondheim before the brits) and one or two garrison units in Norway. This commitment of effort to Norway makes sending 4 or 5 land units (plus a GSU) to Pas de Calais more viable for the british.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.