Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the geekspeak interview states the game originally was about rich guys all competing to have the largest golf courses.

I can understand the oasises being putting greens.
The original board probably had water hazards.
The camels were... golf carts? electric fences?

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Re:Originally about golf courses
Innovan (#469046),

Reiner said that his "Rockefeller" prototype had to be redesigned when they converted it to the DdW theme. It was originally an area-controllish type of game if I understand what he said correctly, something about having larger golf courses than your opponents.

I suppose you could retheme Lowenherz that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Originally about golf courses
Heres a quote of the excellent review done by Stephen Glenn to Reiner Knizia.

Quote:
SG: Whose idea was the camel/desert theme? Where did that come from?

RK: That actually came from the publisher. The original working title for the game was 'Rockefeller'. I imagined it as an island where wealthy families had settled. My original subtitle to the game was 'Second to None.' Each individual family wanted to show that they had the best private golf courses, museums, houses, etc. That was my idea. The publisher came back and said that, from a marketing perspective, the camel/desert theme was more appropriate. I thought about it, decided it was something I could live with, and we went with it.

Its clear that the game wasnt going to be exclusively about golf. I would had preffer if the game was published with its original theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.