Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like C&C Napoleonics, but the print of the name in the center of the board is a showstopper. Whose idea was this? What is this childish abomination good for? To let the players remember which game they are currently playing? Or what? Its a annoying eye-distration. Do someone find it funny if he can conquer the hex with the "C" printed in a giant fat letter on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed! Whoever heard of printing the NAME of the game on the game board!?? Outrageous! ROTFLOLWTIME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This could start a dangerous trend - let's hope it doesn't catch on...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the OP's point - aesthetically its pretty poor placement - I am not a fan of it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well it depends at which part of the board the name stands. I have no prob if its anywhere in the corner. But in the middle of the board its annoying and a extreme distraction. WotC learned this for their new Battlecry and removed the letters from the center of board. Dito DoW with M44. No letters! But GMT didnt learn anything. The same nonsensical lapse of taste each version of C&C again and again.

Each wargamer would outcry if the designer write some big fat "Advanced Squad leader" letters directly in the center of his ASL boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the game starts, I don't even notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it is bad placement but it doesnt bother me that much.

I get annoyed by a lot more significant things about this game like why my dice stink, why I never get good enough cards, and why I can't seem to stop wanting to play it again and again...

Most of the time, the words are at least partially covered with terrain tiles anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH...never really noticed it while playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the OP - it is a kind of an un-classy move.

However, I have played tons of games of C&C:Ancients and one game of C&C:Nap and I can't remember in any one of my games ever noticing the name on the board.

So, I can sympathize but it doesn't really get in the way of the experience and the game really is worth it. Depending on how you are with details, your mileage may vary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the name across the middle of the board was a poor marketing attempt and it bugs me also. Wouldnt you want the game board to look like a battlefield and not a billboard?

Worse than the name sprawled across the middle of the board, I watched my friend remove his board from the box for the first time and one whole square section just fell apart from the binding. The binding in the middle of the board was so thin that the white from the binding tape showed through right in the middle of the board.

I am not sure who GMT outsourced their game boards to or how much money they saved, but this was one cheap, crappy, board for a GMT game. The good news was that he immediately called GMT customer service and the lady said they would ship him out a new board that afternoon. She did state that they had several complaints about the quality of the board in the C+C:Napoleonics game. Have any of you had problems with your board coming apart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Omahavice wrote:
I think the name across the middle of the board was a poor marketing attempt and it bugs me also. Wouldnt you want the game board to look like a battlefield and not a billboard?

You must hate the hexagons and blocks then. They utterly destroy the battlefield aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure who GMT outsourced their game boards

Clearly it was printed in China and some others have had the same problem. What is puzzling is that the other Chinese-printed deluxe boards that have recently come out have been outstanding. This seems like a totally different vendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm only annoyed when I sit on the side that has the writing upside down. When that happens I'm prone to forget which game I'm playing and I end up losing rather badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread. Seems like something Andy Rooney would write about.You know what makes me mad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went back and looked at my photos of Waterloo Battlefield from the Butte de Leon. And look what I noticed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be more annoying if was upside down...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:
I went back and looked at my photos of Waterloo Battlefield from the Butte de Leon. And look what I noticed:

Geez, Wellington must have been peeved. He wins the battle and he doesn't get the star billing..

should read "Command & Colors: Wellingtonics"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
It would be more annoying if was upside down...

Like this you mean -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that it was rather convenient for Wellington to have that massive hill to stand on, presumably sitting astride the giant lion to better intimidate the French.

Now, we also know why he chose to stand on his head.

One by one, history relinquishes it's secrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was too busy taping my board back together to notice the placement of the logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:

The funniest thing I've seen on BGG in a long time. You sir are a funny guy.

I like the game - and nothing's perfect. That said, why have terrain and such to enhance the aesthetics and have the name of the game on the field? I agree with the Op - it's just silly and out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
The funniest thing I've seen on BGG in a long time. You sir are a funny guy.

Thanks. I have my days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.