BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for non-spatial thinking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
abbj2002 davis

Kansas
msg tools
hey all,
just wondered if anyone out there would be able to help a non-spatial thinker.

games like carcassone, I always seem to lose. as well as stone age. uggg. But love games like dominion.

also like agricola,

any game suggestions would be great.

thank you , you all are a great help

Becky D in kansas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never realized how so many of the games I enjoy have a large spatial component. Hrm... non-spatial ones... well, a couple I enjoy are Container and Puerto Rico. It can't hurt to check those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beckydavis2 wrote:
hey all,
just wondered if anyone out there would be able to help a non-spatial thinker.

games like carcassone, I always seem to lose. as well as stone age. uggg. But love games like dominion.

also like agricola,

any game suggestions would be great.

thank you , you all are a great help

Becky D in kansas

Hi Becky.

I understand Carcassone, but Stone Age has no spatial thinking at all (that I can remember). I think that's where you lost me. Even Agricola has some (the adjacency rules for fields for example). Perhaps we have different definitions of "spatial"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becky, I too think I could be better at giving suggestions if I had a better idea of what you mean by spatial. I see the spatial elements in Agricola and Carcassonne, but I have trouble seeing them in Stone Age.

However, even with my unsuredness of what you mean, I feel confident recommending Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It's a mix of Yahtzee and a Civ game. Essentially a dice game. I'm pretty sure there's no spatial elements in it (you roll dice and write things down on a piece of paper), and it's at about the same level of complexity as Dominion.

And of course, there's always pure card games like Haggis, which is a trick taking climbing game for 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
And of course, there's always pure card games like Haggis, which is a trick taking climbing game for 2 or 3.

Yes.

Card games are an excellent alternative to spatial games [for many many years in human history, essentially your choice in board gaming was abstract strategy, roll and move or bingo / lottery variants, or "traditional" card gaming; in large part, I think these are still the three major categories].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of your definition of spatial, I want to agree with the first poster's recommendation of Puerto Rico. It's a classic game that has no spatial elements. At the Gates of Loyang is quite fun as a two-player game, and also has no spatial elements. Troyes has very few spatial elements and is a classic (if you enjoy dry, meaty euros). Just a few thoughts from my own collection (which tends to be spatial-heavy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the non-spatial games among my favorites:

Lost Cities
Medici
Outpost (a bit hard to get until it's re-published)
Race for the Galaxy
Saint Petersburg
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love Dominion, you'd probably like these games:

Puzzle Strike
Yomi
7 Wonders
Coloretto
Lascaux
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game

Games with set collecting and bidding, etc. would seem to be good options. It sounds like worker placement may be the thing you don't enjoy. Agricola does have some spacial elements on the board... but it's your own board... so maybe it's the ability for an opponent to mess with your plans you don't like... not sure. In that case... bidding and auctions might not be to your liking. Let us know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
abbj2002 davis

Kansas
msg tools
Hi Everyone,
thank you for your responce, I think a used the wrong word.SPATIAL???
NOt sure what its called. In carcassone, when u pick a tile it may fit in 1 or 2 place that i see. but in reality it will also fit into 5 or 6 other places. that may be more benifical for points.

Still in love with dominion.

thanks everyone Becky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.