Subject: Shuffling only a few cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Johnson
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
In a lot of games you need to shuffle a very short deck of cards, say 8 or 10 cards. What are people's preferred methods of doing that?

(Astute readers may see a connection here with my earlier post and a recent purchase of Citadels.)

A riffle shuffle is nearly impossible, of course, though maybe you can just manually interleave two fanned stacks to accomplish the same thing.

You can spread them out on the table and do the classic smear-shuffle, but that's a lot of wear on the cards and takes a lot of space.

Then there's the "cradle cards in one hand while using the other hand to grasp the cards from the ends and repeatedly pull out small clumps and replace them elsewhere" technique. Surely this has a shorter name, since everyone learns it at an early age.

What do people find easiest/best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the third method you described and then ask another player to call out a number between 0 and 7. I then count down that many cards and cut the deck there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above was in reference to Citadels of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a small number of cards, I will usually just do a strip shuffle a bunch of times. It only takes maybe 1-2 seconds per iteration.

Basically you have a stack of cards in one hand, and the other hand pulls off clumps of cards. Each clump goes on top of the previous clump. With such a small deck, a "clump" is probably 1-4 cards.

This shuffle is also known as a "running shuffle" and probably by other names, but it's not the same as what you are describing because you don't stuff cards back into the deck. The one you describe isn't any sort of official shuffle, but rather the sort of thing everyone makes up when they are a child and need to shuffle some cards but don't know any particular techniques. It's still a hundred times better than the "smear shuffle" which generally doesn't actually mix the cards much and can damage the edges pretty bad. I wince in pain and embarrasment every time I see someone over 8 years old doing that.

btw - For anyone who wants to learn how to shuffle, check out any decent book on card magic. Most include a pretty good section on different shuffling techniques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the "cradle" also and then maybe shuffle into three sepearte stacks, "cradle" again, then two seperate stacks, then "cradle" & cut.

It takes a little longer but it normally works for a "better" random distribution.

a little OT: TtR drives me nuts with the constant shuffling! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but Ticket to Ride has enough cards that you can riffle them. Plus, you can have someone shuffling them ahead of time when it's not their turn so it doesn't have to interrupt the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Here's a good discussion of different methods for shuffling cards:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Maybe it could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We drop em on the floor and let the 2 year old gather em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johnson
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I found a nice site with poker shuffling techniques in video, but of course it's not specific to only a few cards:

http://www.pokerology.com/articles/howtoshuffle.htm

Strip shuffling and/or overhand shuffling (THAT'S what its called!) looks like the ticket. Strip shuffling on the table definitely has more panache than overhand, but they're functionally identical, and I'm lazy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deal them somewhat randomly into two or three or four piles (depending on how many cards there are to shuffle). Then I randomly pick up those piles to make a single stack. Repeat 3+ times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PersiDiaconis

and

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20001021/mathtrek.asp

for some theory abut shuffling.

And of course for the unscrupulous I found:

http://www.mymagic.com/zarrow.htm

Amazing thing the Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Yeah, but Ticket to Ride has enough cards that you can riffle them. Plus, you can have someone shuffling them ahead of time when it's not their turn so it doesn't have to interrupt the game at all.

One easy thing to do: Have 3 or more discard piles. When someone claims a route, discard the cards in those different piles, that gives them a good pre-shuffle, you'll then rarely draw 2 or more cards of the same color in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shuffling only a few cards - Ticket to Ride
Magnus the Blue wrote:
TtR drives me nuts with the constant shuffling! yuk

We no longer bother to shuffle in TtR because the cards you manage to separate during the shuffle can still end up together in the five cards to be drawn from.

They may not even be the identical cards but there is enough like cards to nullify the point of having a shuffle.

In a normal pack of cards you are shuffling 1 card amongst 52 so it has plenty of places to go, in TtR you essentially have seven different types of cards in multiples of themselves so there is a limit to how well shuffled they could ever become.

Then, even if you sorted (arranged) them so each card was as far apart from any like card, there is still a very high chance that two of the same card (or more) could end up in the five available 'draw from' cards anyway (assisted by the way that cards are taken out of the orignal shuffled order by the draw choice mechanism)..

We rarely shuffle in TtR (more out of habit than meaning to) because everyone is affected the same way - and even in a properly shuffled deck several cards of the same type can easily appear in the available five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.