flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My initial reaction to playing this new Civ was:

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a computer app which kept track of

all the movement costs, building costs and capabilities and terrain

requirements and famous leader capabilities and then added up all your

production and then when you built something automatically applied the

costs. I mean wouldn't that be cool? Hope someone can do that!!
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LOL!!!!! Priceless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played this: Civilization Revolution?

The board game is based on this version of Civ.

But I agree with you the game would play faster if these things were tracked. I was thinking about making player mats like the ones that you use in Endeavor.

A digital solution would be practical but an analog solution would be much more in the spirit of board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a similar joke yesterday during our game. During one of the last turns of the game, when we each had three cities and a ton of tech cards, one of the players remarked that he wished he had a spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:

But I agree with you the game would play faster if these things were tracked. I was thinking about making player mats like the ones that you use in Endeavor.

A digital solution would be practical but an analog solution would be much more in the spirit of board gaming.

Umm ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isnt civ revolution just a version of Civ4 dumbed down to work on a console?

-Kyrinthic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrinthic wrote:
isnt civ revolution just a version of Civ4 dumbed down to work on a console?

-Kyrinthic

No it plays faster and is a smaller world. Play a game in 3-4 hours instead of 20-200. Really nothing like Civ IV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Ok, I just played the demo, it played pretty much the same except the small world and some of the detail taken out. And more cartoony graphics. But then I just assumed the small map was part of the demo, you cant actually play a big game of it then? thats too bad, thats where civ is best.

-Kyrinthic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrinthic wrote:

Ok, I just played the demo, it played pretty much the same except the small world and some of the detail taken out. And more cartoony graphics. But then I just assumed the small map was part of the demo, you cant actually play a big game of it then? thats too bad, thats where civ is best.

-Kyrinthic

Not really for big world civ players. It is for zip through shorter games but it is really cool how different all the civilizations are, makes each one play quite differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantinople wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a computer app which kept track of all the movement costs, building costs and capabilities and terrain requirements and famous leader capabilities and then added up all your production and then when you built something automatically applied the costs. I mean wouldn't that be cool?

Not really. That would turn the board game into some kind of computer game, and if you want to play on a computer, there's already several Civ computer games out there.

The idea here is to simplify the rules mechanisms enough for humans to keep track of them without computer aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnZapp wrote:
Constantinople wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a computer app which kept track of all the movement costs, building costs and capabilities and terrain requirements and famous leader capabilities and then added up all your production and then when you built something automatically applied the costs. I mean wouldn't that be cool?

Not really. That would turn the board game into some kind of computer game, and if you want to play on a computer, there's already several Civ computer games out there.

The idea here is to simplify the rules mechanisms enough for humans to keep track of them without computer aid.

HE IS BEING SARCASTIC! Enough of this. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.