Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm useless at setting up competitions but after reading the interesting over-saturation thread here in the Board Game Design forum I got thinking...and thinking is a dangerous thing.

As a few of you may know I'm currently putting the finishing touches to a flicky dexterity game based around sheepdog trials and herding sheep into pens. More and more these days I'm interested in "different" themes.

So let's have a competition. Design a pnp game, post the rules in here, even upload it to BGG if you think it's good enough and if you get the most votes you can have 50 of my hard earned geek gold. That's right....FIFTY! Incredible! Amazing!

So what do I want to see? I want to see a game, until now un-designed, that has a strange, un-common or downright bizarre theme. So this means NO:
Zombies
Pirates
Space fighting or dealing
Renaissance Italy
Medieval serfs
Fantasy creatures
War
Baseball
etc

Anything that would be considered to be a common game theme. Also, the mechanic(s) you use need(s) to kind of mesh with your chosen theme so that the player can go "ahhh yeah, this theme makes sense for what I'm doing".

Sound reasonable? Good.
The game has to be your design. Post it to the thread and on the 1st March we'll open up some polls to choose a winner! Huzzah! Feel free to shoot ideas through this thread as well as entries. Post more than one entry if you see fit.

Get to it!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I'll see what I can do. However, if I win, you can keep your GeekGold. I want you to introduce me to the girl in your avatar!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
codybear37 wrote:
However, if I win, you can keep your GeekGold.

WE HAVE A WINNER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

blah...

NO:
Medieval serfs

blah

Are Medieval Smurfs okay to use?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me check.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Let me check.

Yes.

Dexterity game with Smurfs.... coming up.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an idea for ages about two neighbours, ladies of a certain age, competing to get the most variety of birds to visit their bird tables...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
I've had an idea for ages about two neighbours, ladies of a certain age, competing to get the most variety of birds to visit their bird tables...

Tits like coconuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fish tank wars, battles between species of rare fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
FNH1 wrote:

Tits like coconuts

Well they are milky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a game about cats in boxes...

A surefire hit on BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkyMan wrote:

A surefire hit on BGG!

As long as there is a girl (chick) on the cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Let me check.

Yes.

Dexterity game with Smurfs.... coming up.

-DK

Smurf Bowling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Fish tank wars, battles between species of rare fish.

This is the dawning of the rage of aquariums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to be working on a dexterity game at the moment with an unusual theme: Water Balloon Wars. I'll polish it up and submit it soon.

It's your contest, but won't the game entries get lost if they share a thread with comments? Maybe not all contests get over-saturated....

It's weird, but I'm also working on a herding game (though it's not a dexterity game). That one's a bit further from being done, though.

Neat idea for a contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... maybe I should get to work on my game based around Fives (albeit with a fantasy bent, but anyone who can name a board game based around Fives to begin with was halucinating )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Walker
United States
Bastrop
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
i love your sheepdog flicking idea. if i dont get a copy reserved there will be trouble.

Me too! I'm pumped about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two games on the drawing board with uncommon themes:

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A) Free Lunch -- a deckbuilding game where you try to eat a balanced diet.

Culture Wars -- "You are a mall owner, trying to become popular with one or more cliques at the local high school so the kids spend their allowances with you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flick-It Cricket
on its way - a game of batting and fielding - not bowling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkyMan wrote:

A surefire hit on BGG!

Cats in a Box: A Game of Feline Photography
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
The lines on the sidewalk and the fence posts effectively make an 8 x 7 grid to divide our yard into 56 squares. We then make wagers about which of those squares the dog will go on. We call it, "Poo-lette".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elizabeth Robson wrote:
Hmm... maybe I should get to work on my game based around Fives (albeit with a fantasy bent, but anyone who can name a board game based around Fives to begin with was halucinating :P )

Wait, wait...Fives are right out, do you mean Threes?

Anyway, I was thinking about a dice collecting game...sadly, I can never find enough dice for the game :blush:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under every pile of leaves a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Any news on the Girl Holding a Box expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, good qoute there, but just incase you haven't heard of it as a genuine sport: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fives I think you call the one wall variant (which I don't play) Handball over in the USA.

ExcalibursZone wrote:
Elizabeth Robson wrote:
Hmm... maybe I should get to work on my game based around Fives (albeit with a fantasy bent, but anyone who can name a board game based around Fives to begin with was halucinating )

Wait, wait...Fives are right out, do you mean Threes?

Anyway, I was thinking about a dice collecting game...sadly, I can never find enough dice for the game blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In 2007 I wrote:

clearclaw wrote:
I’ve been toying with this game design for a few weeks. The primary thematic element involves running children across minefields. Those that survive the trip get to escape to presumably live good lives. Those that don’t, well, don’t. The players effectively take the part of family heads determining which and how many of their own children to send out when for potential slaughter or safe passage (they have lots of kids). Key elements are that the game is semi-cooperative, explicitly zero-sum, inferential deduction of likely landmine locations, setting up other player’s kids to clear the path by stepping on and blowing up the landmines for your kids to then follow safely, deliberately sacrificing your own early kids in order to determine and secure a path for later stock etc. The goal (scoring) is simple maximal genetic survival, primarily of direct family then extended and then remote family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.