Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I notice that there's a "destroy your enemies' bases" mechanic at play here.

How does this work out in a 3 player game? Does the game have the problem that many 3 player battle games have: 2 players ganging up on 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find it has exactly that problem, and I don't play it with three players because of that. It makes a great 1v1 game, and a great 2v2 game, but with 1v1v1 it just becomes a negotiation (whining?) game.

Some other people do like it with three players, but they're the sort of people who like games like that. I'm guessing that because you're asking this question, you are not one of those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
In any three player game it is (theoretically) possible for the weakest player to say to the second weakest player:
"Ally with me and stop attacking me, or I will ally with [insert name of leading player here] and you won't be able to win.

And of course, the second weakest player will see the sense of the weakest player's argument and accept his proposition. Naturally, once the player's relative positions change as a result of such an alliance, then the weakest player could say to the second weakest player....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Neuroshima Hex Group aliance never ever happens. It is always free for all and kill all! So I never had that issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Vampire" variant can somewhat decrease ganking problem.
Each player starts with 0 victory points and gains 1 vp for each damage he deals to enemy HQ. HQs itself are indestructible, though damaging them gives enemies VPs. First to accumulate 20 VPs wins.
This way players always try to bite something from one another, so allying just isn't as profitable as free for all.

On the other hand, I think 3p-Neuroshima is too chaotic and may have some balancing issues, so I'd say you better stick to 2p or team 2v2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Each player starts with 0 victory points and gains 1 vp for each damage he deals to enemy HQ. HQs itself are indestructible, though damaging them gives enemies VPs. First to accumulate 20 VPs wins.

This is how we play with three and it works very well. Completely eliminates the three-player whining problem described above. I still think the game is better 1v1 or 2v2, but it's still a lot of fun and works better than most three-player conflict games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made house rule in free-for-all games for 3 and 4 players: you cannot talk about game during game, so there's no negotiation nonsence and everybody has to take actions which would benefit them best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the simply the vampire rule: the first person to kick others' asses for 20 points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.