flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Odds of a re-release?
MrSkeletor (#469585),

Of course, this is just my speculating opinion - take it as you will.

I took a look at your profile. From the games you have, I see that many have had "new editions" and so on, which drastically (or not so drastically) alter the original game for better or worse.

Settlers has made a huge impact on games, and reprints have remained essentially unchanged since it's release. If a new edition is released, I highly doubt anything but the art and bits would change. Maybe one day they will release a "deluxe" edition with the expansions included or something like that.

Personally, I like the base game without any expansions for what it is. It is a staple on my table for a simple, fun, and quick game. When I want more complexity (and less random elements), I choose other games rather than the expansions for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
MrSkeletor (#469585),
Settlers has been re-released quite a few times, I understand, but as yet there have been no changes to the components of the game other than the merely cosmetic. There have been some minor rules-alterations, but mainly just in the Mayfair editions when some small changes have been made to bring the English-language version back in line with the original German version.

There has been a rumour (or maybe more than a rumour - I haven't been following closely) that the next edition to come out will make a minor change to the trade/build rules (as the designer, apparently, has decided that the rule from Seafarers of Catan works better than the rule from the original game), but again, this does not involve a component change.

So in essence, I wouldn't worry about a new edition coming out. If it happens, it will most likely involve, at most, a minor change to the rules that can simply be implemented with whatever game pieces you happen to have bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor (#469585),

The basic Settlers of Catan hasn't changed in ten years and in unlikely to change. You can add the 5-6 Player expansion, you can add Seafarers of Catan and/or you can add Cities and Knights of Catan, or you can stick with the original.

My suggestion would be play it or buy it because my guess is you will grow old and turn to dust before basic Settlers of Catan is rereleased as something fundamentally different to what it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Heard back from Mayfair Games on this question. Here is my correspondance:

Bob:

I understand that you are coming out with the deluxe edition of Settlers of Catan in celebration of
its 10th year Anniversary.

Just wondering if there are also plans to come out with a 4th edition of the regular version of the game any time soon?

Mayfair:
We are indeed looking to have the 10th anniversary edition in October.

The current edition of Settlers is third, and while some revisions may occur in the future, you question would have to beg the counter question of what are you looking for in a fourth edition ?

Bob

Thanks for your answer. Just so I understand: You are looking this October to have both a 10th Anniversary Edition
Deluxe and Regular Edition?

New to the game so I don't have anything in particular I am looking for just want to make sure when buying the game
I am getting the latest! ))

Bob

Mayfair:

The third edition is the current edition, Seafarers and Cities & Knights are compatible.
This edition is expected to continue for the forseeable future.

The 10th Anniversary edition is standalone and seperate, but, utilizes the same set of rules, plus the Cities and Knights rules.

Does that help ?

-----

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.