Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: scout gathering question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Can a scout in the outskirts of one of your own cities send that resource to a different one of your cities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but the original city cannot also use the square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

I just gave a quick look at the rules and didn't see anything in there addressing if you can use a scout in your outskirts and send the contents of the square to another one of your cities. Is this just your assumption or did I just miss it in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

I just gave a quick look at the rules and didn't see anything in there addressing if you can use a scout in your outskirts and send the contents of the square to another one of your cities. Is this just your assumption or did I just miss it in the rules?

Check the Unofficial FAQ posted on the Forum they are official answers by Kevin Wilson.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/597735/unofficial-faq-v2-was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah thanks. This will definitely help out the culture victory if you can build three cathedrals and park scouts on them and have one city collect all that culture. While the other cities harvest incense or build defenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm not trying to be obnoxious I just want to know the answer for sure. I just checked the thread you linked to and there was nothing in it addressing this issue that I could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem to be in the UFAQ yet but I believe it was originally answered here.

Edit: Swapped the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
It doesn't seem to be in the UFAQ yet but I believe it was originally answered here.

Edit: Swapped the link.

Oh that was one of the questions that Kevin gave me the answer to. Maybe it can be added to the UFAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a quick question as well.

After using Scout Gathering are you not allowed to move that scout later during the Movement Phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:
I've got a quick question as well.

After using Scout Gathering are you not allowed to move that scout later during the Movement Phase?

You can move the scout later in the turn. The official ruling is that when your scout moves, your coin total is updated immediately to reflect any coins gathered on the new square or no longer gathered on the old square.

There is no clear ruling on the other types of icons, but since none of those matter after the city management phase, the issue is moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pewphead pewphead
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
Ah thanks. This will definitely help out the culture victory if you can build three cathedrals and park scouts on them and have one city collect all that culture. While the other cities harvest incense or build defenses.

I want to point out that scouts gather the resources from the tile, not from any buildings on that tile. Therefore the theory of building cathedrals and harvesting them using scouts to send to another city would not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the FAQ, scouts can gather icons from buildings.

Q. Can scouts gather icons and/or
resources from squares containing
buildings or wonders?
A. Yes. If you have a scout in the outskirts
of an enemy city on top of a building
or wonder, then you both deny
your opponent the icons and/or
resources in that square, and
may also send them home to
one of your cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pewphead wrote:
quartersmostly wrote:

I want to point out that scouts gather the resources from the tile, not from any buildings on that tile. Therefore the theory of building cathedrals and harvesting them using scouts to send to another city would not work.

The icons on the building/great people/wonders completely replace the icons on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pewphead pewphead
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks for the correction.

A building can still only be used by one city, correct? In other words one city can not use a market or bank for the hammer and another for the culture? This would be done by placing your scout on one of your own cities buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, the designer has ruled no double dipping, so if you use icon "a" in city "A" you can't use icon "b" sent by a scout from the same square in city "B".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.