Subject: what is it like rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What kind of game is this? Bidding? Is it easy to teach to non gamers or is there alot to remember and a lot of rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:what is it like
oboman2002 (#469617),

It is unlike any game I have played before and it is not for non-gamers. Do not try to teach this to non-gamers you need to transform someone into a gamer before you try to teach them this sucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Drewcooter (#469619),
o ok. THanks for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obo,

It sounds like your fiance is a gamer. Any game that takes 3 playings to get is not for a non-gamer. Their eyes will glaze over and they will lose interest during that first game or even the explanation of how to play.

Don't get me wrong I think GOA is a solid game and worth learning, you just have to know your audience.

Game On!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above was meant for Daren not Obo. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 (#469617),

Rules are well written... but as you can see from the very many number of questions and people misplaying, quite complex, and fiddly at times. I have explained this one three or four times now to fellow gamers, and it is not easy to hold in your head and visualize... not for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjackso (#474556),

1st round, the flag HAS to be worth at least 4.. since the action can be used to get 4 ducats.. and also has value in the next auction.. I will take it for 2-3 every time.

You point out that the word 'fiddly' has become fiddly. Hmm, perhaps true. I used it to mean there are a lot of little extra rules used to properly define what and when players can act... for example

- Hand limits on cards and when to pitch cards if you will exceed that limit
- What to do during bidding marker placement if there is no tile next to the last marker placed
- The opening bid of 0 by the bid-marker owner
- The differentiation between cards which are part of the action versus in addition to the action
- The blue tiles during the B-Group and how they interact
- Saving an extra action, but not saving multiple extra actions
- Score for the 6th card in a set (not that I will ever see that)
- etc

Mind you, I love Goa and will play it any time, and while I agree the rules are fairly integrated, they are not intuitive in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
dklx3 (#480976),

Quote:
1st round, the flag HAS to be worth at least 4.. since the action can be used to get 4 ducats.. and also has value in the next auction.. I will take it for 2-3 every time.

It's not so linear as it seems..... Mind you that winning the flag auction for 4 gold will leave the winner with 6 gold.
If that will have as a consequence the impossibility to win some precious tiles in the following auctions, the flag it's valued more its effective worth (in relation to auctioned goods).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackpope (#481005),

Agreed with the non-linear remark.. but 2-3 will be too cheap most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.